WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says the Navy football team not only had to overcome tough opponents to win the Commander-in-Chief trophy this year but a government shutdown as well.
The military service academies had to suspend some sporting events last fall amid budget fights in Washington. But Obama says Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel intervened to make sure Navy’s match against Air Force would go on. The midshipmen won that game and later defeated Army to win the three-way race for the trophy for the ninth time in 11 years.
Obama joked as he accepted his commemorative jersey that he’s going to have enough to dress a whole team.
Obama says that even more impressive than their football record is the Navy team’s commitment to its country.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Other Local News:
- Services Held For Edgewood Shooting Victim Oscar Hidalgo Romero
- Md. Woman Injured In Las Vegas Shooting Reaches Milestone In Recovery
- Family Of Alleged Office Gunman Says He Failed To Get Mental Health Treatment
- Witness: Suspect Gathered Co-workers Before Shooting, Said ‘I Want To Say Something To Everybody’
- Calls From First Responders Heard From Edgewood Business Shooting