HANOVER, Md. (WJZ) — Police arrest a man accused of carjacking a woman in broad daylight near Arundel Mills Mall.
Michael Kirk Smith, 44, was taken into custody Wednesday without incident.
Police say Smith approached a woman’s car at a busy Safeway last Thursday in Hanover and demanded the 55-year-old’s keys. He then forced his way inside and fled toward Ridge Road.
The woman was able to get out of the vehicle. She was treated for minor injuries at the scene.
Detectives in Washington D.C. recovered the stolen Dodge Caravan. Smith was later arrested at an apartment complex in the 3800-block of Saint Barnabas Road in Suitland.
He now faces several charges, including carjacking and second-degree assault.
Other Local News:
- State Trooper Struck on Shoulder of Highway
- Bicyclist Killed in Accident on the Highway
- City Police Investigate Homicides, Teenager Killed
- Locals Cleans Up Matthew Henson Neighborhood For Clean Up Day
- Escaped Prisoner Vernon Goode Still At Large