HANOVER, Md. (WJZ) — Police arrest a man accused of carjacking a woman in broad daylight near Arundel Mills Mall.
Michael Kirk Smith, 44, was taken into custody Wednesday without incident.
Police say Smith approached a woman’s car at a busy Safeway last Thursday in Hanover and demanded the 55-year-old’s keys. He then forced his way inside and fled toward Ridge Road.
The woman was able to get out of the vehicle. She was treated for minor injuries at the scene.
Detectives in Washington D.C. recovered the stolen Dodge Caravan. Smith was later arrested at an apartment complex in the 3800-block of Saint Barnabas Road in Suitland.
He now faces several charges, including carjacking and second-degree assault.
Other Local News:
- Water Issues Cause 2 Baltimore Co. Schools To Close Early Tuesday
- You Can Help Name The Maryland Zoo’s Baby Giraffe
- 8 Men Arrested As Part Of Prostitution Operation
- Missing Carroll County Woman Found Dead In Car In Reisterstown
- Police Seek Identity Of Suspect Who Robbed Same Bank Twice