HANOVER, Md. (WJZ) — Police arrest a man accused of carjacking a woman in broad daylight near Arundel Mills Mall.
Michael Kirk Smith, 44, was taken into custody Wednesday without incident.
Police say Smith approached a woman’s car at a busy Safeway last Thursday in Hanover and demanded the 55-year-old’s keys. He then forced his way inside and fled toward Ridge Road.
The woman was able to get out of the vehicle. She was treated for minor injuries at the scene.
Detectives in Washington D.C. recovered the stolen Dodge Caravan. Smith was later arrested at an apartment complex in the 3800-block of Saint Barnabas Road in Suitland.
He now faces several charges, including carjacking and second-degree assault.
Other Local News:
- Crews Remove Taney Statue From Maryland State House
- Heat Advisory In Effect Today
- Senior Officer On Damaged Ship To Be Relieved Of Command
- Barcelona Attack Occurred Outside Hotel Of Former Md. High School Athlete
- Elderly Man Reunites With Coast Guard Members Who Saved His Life