HANOVER, Md. (WJZ) — Police arrest a man accused of carjacking a woman in broad daylight near Arundel Mills Mall.
Michael Kirk Smith, 44, was taken into custody Wednesday without incident.
Police say Smith approached a woman’s car at a busy Safeway last Thursday in Hanover and demanded the 55-year-old’s keys. He then forced his way inside and fled toward Ridge Road.
The woman was able to get out of the vehicle. She was treated for minor injuries at the scene.
Detectives in Washington D.C. recovered the stolen Dodge Caravan. Smith was later arrested at an apartment complex in the 3800-block of Saint Barnabas Road in Suitland.
He now faces several charges, including carjacking and second-degree assault.
Other Local News:
- U.S. Customs And Border Officers Seize Nearly 3,000 In Counterfeit Sinks Worth $1 Million
- Arrest Made In Unsolved Anne Arundel County Homicide Investigation
- Baltimore Mayor Replaces City Police Commissioner Kevin Davis
- Police Investigate Perry Hall Fight Video In Which One Person Appears To Have Gun
- Man Dies After Police Say He Struck Rear Of Parked Tractor-Trailer On Md. Road