Governor Announces Deal To Keep ‘House Of Cards’ In Md.
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — Keep the cameras rolling. The wildly popular TV series “House of Cards” is going to stay in Maryland. The announcement came late Friday evening.
The state will fork over more than $11 million worth of incentives to keep the series filming here.
Monique Griego reports.
Bolton Hill is one of the neighborhoods featured prominently on the show. And while residents love seeing Baltimore on another hit series, not everyone thinks the state should have to pay for it.
The battle is over. “House of Cards” will receive another term in Maryland. Friday night, Governor O’Malley announced a deal to give the show’s makers enough cash to keep filming in the state.
“They’re trying to get the most they can get for their company and to make it productive for them to be here,” said Sen. Nancy Jacobs, (R) Harford County.
Last month, the Netflix series laid out the red carpet for delegates divided over increasing tax incentives. The incentive package of tax breaks and grants to keep the program in state now totals $11.5 million, through a combination of both the 2014 Film Production Tax Credit program and a General Assembly authorization of $7.5 million in grants in the fiscal year 2015 budget.
“House Of Cards” Season 3 is estimated to generate 3,700 jobs and $100 million for the state.
The series uses various locations as sets, including many Baltimore City neighborhoods.
In the show, a house in Bolton Hill is used as the exterior shot for the main characters’ home. The interior shots are filmed in Joppa, Md.
“It uses Bolton Hill to double as Georgetown, so that’s a flattering comparison for us,” said Paul Caiola, neighbor.
Caiola really couldn’t see a downside.
“It’s a fun show and it’s filmed in our neighborhood and our city. How could we not want it to come back?” he said.
While most residents love seeing shots of Charm City, not everyone thinks Maryland should have to foot part of the bill.
“If they gave in and we still have the stuff here and people get jobs, that’s fine. I’d rather not do it because I know they’re just squeezing everybody,” said Kent Smith, neighbor.
Governor O’Malley released a statement, saying:
“Spoiler alert: we’re going to keep the 3,700 jobs and more than 100 million dollars of economic activity and investment that House of Cards generates right here in Maryland. Media Rights Capital has been a great supporter of the people and entertainment community in Maryland and we couldn’t be happier to continue our partnership.”
The co-CEO of MRC also released a statement, saying:
“House of Cards is the gift that keeps on giving, having injected hundreds of millions of dollars into the local economy, while also helping to provide thousands of jobs to our Maryland community. We are very grateful to both Governor O’Malley for his tireless efforts to help keep jobs in Maryland and the leadership of the General Assembly for their continued advocacy and support.”
The producers of the show say Season 3 will begin shooting within the next few months.
Other Local News:
- Huge Fires Burn Downtown Baltimore Buildings Shortly After Riots
- CHAOS: 15 Officers Injured, Businesses Looted, Fires Set As Violent Riots Plague Baltimore
- Baltimore Mayor Imposes Curfew, Says ‘Thugs’ Trying To Tear Down City
- Gov. Hogan Declares State Of Emergency, Activates National Guard
- Former Md. Gov. O’Malley: Saddened By Baltimore’s Pain