BALTIMORE (WJZ) — It’s a major announcement about the future of the Baltimore Blast professional soccer team.
Mary Bubala reports the team is joining a new league and that means more opponents and more action for the fans.
The Baltimore Blast is leaving the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) and joining a new indoor soccer league with more teams, more games and more fans.
The announcement was made in Canton Monday by Baltimore Blast owner Ed Hale.
The new league will be made up of 24 teams, including three in Mexico. They will play a 20-game season and are looking for national sponsors and a TV deal so fans can keep up with the action.
Ed Hale says the move was a necessity.
“Our season last year, we ended up with seven teams. And it was always a struggle as to who was going to be playing next year in our league and my single question has always been who will the Baltimore Blast play next year,” Hale said.
The Blast will face other teams, including rivals the Harrisburg Heat and San Diego Sockers.
Many teams were playing in the Professional Arena Soccer League (PASL), but now they are partners in this new league.
“Now we really do have a true league that’s coast-to-coast nationally with top-tier teams, high level competition and it really is a national major league for our sport,” said Major Arena Soccer League (MASL) Commissioner Kevin Milliken.
The season includes 10 home games and 10 away games for each of the 24 teams. The teams will also be split into a couple of divisions across the nation. The inaugural game in the MASL will be on Oct. 25 in Dallas.
Other Local News:
- Local Rapper ‘Lor Scoota’ Shot And Killed In N.E. Baltimore
- Tornado Cleanup Continues In Parts Of Howard County
- Commissioner Davis Calls FOP’s Controversial Tweets ‘Inappropriate, Insensitive’
- Police Identify 3 People Fatally Shot In Washington Suburb
- 24 Dead In West Virginia Floods; Search And Rescue Continues