Ray Rice Accepted Into Pretrial Intervention Program; Assault Charges Could Be Dismissed
ATLANTIC COUNTY, N.J. (WJZ) –A New Jersey court confirms Ravens running back Ray Rice has been accepted into a Pretrial Intervention Program.
Investigative reporter Mike Hellgren reports if completed successfully, charges against him will be dismissed.
Rice’s attorney says he is thankful that his client was given the same treatment as anyone else in a similar situation.
PTI allows first-time offenders to have charges against them dismissed after participating and meeting certain conditions. If PTI is successfully completed, there is no record of conviction and he would avoid the stigma of a criminal record.
Earlier this month, Rice pleaded not guilty to aggravated assault charges for allegedly punching and knocking out his then-girlfriend, Janay Palmer, in an Atlantic City casino elevator.
“This decision was arrived at after careful consideration of the information contained in Mr. Rice’s application in light of all of the facts gathered during the investigation. After considering all relevant information in light of applicable law it was determined that this was the appropriate disposition,” said prosecutor Jim McClain.
In a separate plea offer from prosecutors, Rice could face probation with no jail time. He would also have to undergo anger management counseling.
A status conference scheduled for May 29 has been canceled. There, Rice was supposed to find out if he was eligible for the PTI program, the plea deal, or if the case will go to trial.
TMZ first published the video of Rice dragging his seemingly unconscious fiancee, now wife, Jayne Palmer, out of a Revel Casino Hotel elevator on Feb. 15. Police say the two hit each other, but Rice’s blow reportedly knocked Palmer out.
Charges against Palmer were dropped.
Married one day after his indictment, Rice and Palmer have reportedly been going to counseling.
Despite this development, Rice could still face punishment from the NFL that could include a fine and/or suspension.
Other Local News:
- City OKs $20M To Help Cover Cost Of Baltimore Unrest
- Severe Thunderstorm Warnings, Watches Issued For Parts Of Md.
- Maryland Leaders Request Federal Funds To Help After Baltimore Riots
- Rescue Teams Searching For Missing Man Overboard Near Harford-Cecil Line
- Former Treasurer For Municipal Association Pleads Guilty To Felony Theft