BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Follow the yellow brick road to the Modell Performing Arts Center at The Lyric. The “Wizard of Oz” is now playing.
And as Linh Bui finds out, the iconic movie has been re-imagined for the stage.
The show was a hit in London and Toronto. But there’s no place like home, and now “The Wizard of Oz” is here in Baltimore.
In the magical adventure, Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion and Toto journey to find the Wizard of Oz, as the Wicked Witch of the West plots against them.
Actress Julia McLellan says it’s surreal playing the beloved character, Dorothy.
“It’s so incredible. There’s so much history behind it. It’s so iconic. The songs are so beautiful, and it’s an incredible experience,” McLellan said.
But she’s made the role her own, saying her Dorothy is more modern and feistier.
“I’ll never be Judy Garland, as much as I would love to try. You have to sort of find your own Dorothy within yourself,” Mclellan said.
The show stays true to the movie, but with a few surprises. It’s something longtime fans and new ones will enjoy.
“It’s funnier. It’s got new songs. And I think it moves a little bit faster. And it’s just really bright and beautiful and big,” McLellan said.
The “Wizard of Oz” runs through the weekend. Tickets are still available.
For ticket information, click here.
Other Local News:
- Man With Possible Bomb Threatens Fox 45, Suspect Shot By Police
- Caitlyn Jenner Uses Women’s Room at Trump Hotel, Posts Video
- BPD Commissioner On Shot Teen’s BB Gun: ‘It’s An Absolute Identical Replica’
- One Year After Baltimore Unrest, DOJ Still Looking For Arson, Armed Robbery Suspects
- Metro Richmond Zoo Welcomes 13 New Cheetah Cubs