Pasadena Teen Charged With Assault After Slapping A School Crossing Guard
Get Breaking News First
PASADENA, Md. (WJZ)–A Pasadena teen is arrested for slapping a school crossing guard who was trying to take a picture of her license plate.
It all stemmed from a traffic violation that occurred Tuesday afternoon. Police say the teen driver ignored the school crossing guard’s signal to remain stopped and preceded to make a right turn through a crosswalk full of pedestrians.
The next day, the same crossing guard recognized the car in the Northeast High School parking lot and attempted to take a picture of the license plate with her cell phone.
That’s when the 18-year-old driver, Brittany Anne Wenzel, got out of her car and approached the crossing guard, cursed at her and told her she was not going to take pictures of her and her car.
A struggle then ensued as Wenzel grabbed the crossing guard’s wrist and hand in an attempt to take the cell phone. When that didn’t work, police say Wenzel slapped the crossing guard in the face, and then fled the scene.
“Behavior like this will not be tolerated,” said Anne Arundel County Police Chief Kevin Davis. “Our crossing guards have the sacred responsibility of protecting our children, and they don’t deserve to be subjected to assaults and threats by arrogant and impatient drivers.”
On Friday, an arrest warrant was issued charging Wenzel with attempted robbery, two counts of second-degree assault, attempted theft under $1000 and the following traffic offenses that occurred on Tuesday:
- §21-107 (c) Willfully disobeying direction of a school crossing guard
- §21-502 (a2) Driver failure to stop for pedestrian in crosswalk
- §21-504 (b) Driver failing to sound horn warning to pedestrian
Continued investigation indicates Wenzel came to Northeast High School to pick up her boyfriend.
Other Local News:
- Maryland Could See Severe Weather Sunday
- Police Search For Man Last Seen Falling Into Waters At Pretty Boy Dam
- Democrats Calling On Republican Party To Denounce Candidate For AACO Council
- Baltimore Catholic School Teacher Admits To Allegations Of Sexual Abuse
- Feds Pushing To Crack Down On Foreign Seafood Labeled ‘U.S. Product’