Man Blamed For The Deaths Of 2 Baltimore City Children Remains At Large 1 Week Later
BALTIMORE (WJZ)— Frustration is growing a week after two young people died on city streets. Police have released no new information and have yet to make an arrest.
Investigative reporter Mike Hellgren has more on the appeals for action.
One week later and the man who killed two children — the man whose capture is the number one priority of Baltimore City Police — is still at large.
Authorities have not provided a name or a picture.
Councilman Brandon Scott is appealing for an arrest.
“This is someone who’s a coward, who’s less than a man, and anyone who knows any information about it should speak up,” said Councilman Scott, D-District 2, Baltimore City.
Getting the suspect off the streets has been a rallying cry for the victims’ parents, too. The first killed was 15-year-old Oscar Torres–in an armed robbery on Mount Street.
“He’s dead. What? Do you see your son? Dead,” said Francisco Torres, victim’s father.
The suspect stole a car in that crime, and police later spotted him in it in East Baltimore. He fled when they tried to pull him over and crashed into a minivan, killing 12-year-old Shanizya Taft.
“I’ll do interviews all day, every day, until he see my face. He going to recognize what he took from me,” said Shanell Pryor, Taft’s mother.
Police took DNA and fingerprints from the car but publicly have not released any new information since last week, outraging some in the community.
William Scipio lives in neighborhood where Torres was murdered.
“To see two people’s lives totally taken, I think somebody needs to do something about that,” Scipio said.
“Somebody’s going to tell something, especially when the little girl died like that. Something is going to come out, but they need to work harder to me,” said Donna Harrell, of East Baltimore.
Two heartbroken families are depending on it, demanding justice for their closure.
“We have to step up and not hide behind our doors and expose this coward for who he really is,” Scott said.
Torres will be buried Thursday. Taft’s funeral is set for Wednesday.
Other Local News:
- Judge Denies Motions To Dismiss Charges In Freddie Gray Case; Grants Individual Trials For 6 Officers
- Residents Pleased After Motions Denied In Freddie Gray Trial
- New Report Makes Some Want More Speed Cameras Statewide
- Md. Sen. Mikulski Announces Support For Iran Deal
- Mandel Lies In Repose At Maryland State House