ELKRIDGE, Md. (WJZ/HOWARD COUNTY)– A gas line leak in Elkridge forced two schools and area residents to evacuate as a precaution.
It happened at a construction site around 11 a.m. Friday at a construction site on Ilchester and Landing roads when a 4-inch plastic gas line got stuck.
Officials say three schools were impacted: Our Lady of Perpetual Help School, Ilchester Elementary and Bonnie Branch Middle.
Howard County Public Schools say students at Ilchester Elementary and Bonnie Branch Middle schools were evacuated from the buildings as a precautionary measure around 1 p.m.
Ilchester ES students were taken by bus to Rockburn Elementary School until the end of the school day. They were bused home at normal dismissal time.
Bonnie Branch students and staff walked to Trinity School and were also dismissed at normal time.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help School did not need to evacuate.
Residents in two nearby homes were also evacuated, access to approximately 25 houses was denied, and residents of another 100 homes were advised to shelter-in-place.
The leak was controlled by 3 p.m.
All residents have been released back into their homes except for the occupants of two residences who will be working directly with BGE to coordinate their re-entry. Sheltering-in-place is no longer necessary, but Ilchester Road at Landing Road will remain closed for an extended time period.
Eight Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services units worked with the Howard County Public School System, Howard County Police Department, Howard County Office of Emergency Management and the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company to control the hazard and direct the public on appropriate protective action.
Other Local News:
- Multi-Vehicle Wreck Has Traffic Backed Up On I-95
- Egg Game Brings Md. School Jimmy Fallon Shoutout, $13K Donation
- Sun Investigation: Baltimore PD Set To Exceed Overtime Budget By $30 Million
- Trump Awards Purple Heart At Walter Reed Military Hospital
- Medical Professionals Honored at 28th Annual Shock Trauma Gala