We had Buck Showalter on the show Wednesday prior to the afternoon rubber match vs the Rays. There were a few interesting nuggets from the interview:
#1. He will NOT be using a 6 man rotation for any period of time. He told us he doesn’t really like it. So, while they have 6 starters, and he seemed to promote the notion before, he will not be using them back to back to back, 6 pitchers, over and over.
Somebody is headed to the bullpen… or the minors… or the DL.
I can’t imagine Norris or Chen getting bounced from the rotation. I doubt Jimenez or Tillman going to the bullpen. So, that seems to leave either one of them going to the DL and then maybe rehabbing and trying to fix their mechanics.
The other option would be either Gonzales or Gausman going to the bullpen or the minors. Bullpen seems more likely for Gonzales. Minors for Gausman if he doesn’t continue to perform at this level.
#2. Buck said Dylan Bundy could definitely pitch for the Orioles this year if he has success in the minors.
#3. In addition, he indicated the Clevenger has improved his catching defense at AAA and could be here at some point to add his bat to the lineup.
Related Stories – Baltimore Orioles:
- Orioles, Machado Agree To $16M Deal For 2018 Season
- Report: Yankees Contacted Orioles Again About Acquiring Machado
- After ‘Happy Kwanzaa’ Tweet, O’s Say: ‘Kindly Unfollow Us’ If You Can’t Respect Others
- MARK VIVIANO: Britton Injury Means No Relief For O’s In Difficult Off-Season
- Report: Zach Britton Ruptures Achilles, Out At Least 6 Months