FERNDALE, Md. (WJZ) — The volunteer fire department in Ferndale realized the time had come for it to give Anne Arundel County its fire engine back and buy one of their own.
Mike Schuh reports.
The county gave the volunteers $150,000 in grant money to add to the cash they’ve already collected. Now they’re in the process of raising the additional $380,000 to pay for the new engine.
The company says putting this truck in service is a matter of pride.
“There is more pride in having our own piece of equipment. When we go down the street and Ferndale Volunteer Fire Company is on the side of it, people know that we are a volunteer fire company,” said John Long, Ferndale Volunteer Fire Company.
This weekend, the department is holding a craft sale fundraiser. The fire house is just a few miles from BWI. Should there be an incident, they would be among the first to arrive.
Other Local News:
- 5 Officers Internally Charged, 3 Could Be Fired Following Freddie Gray Investigation
- Investigation Continues Into Whether Fatal Stabbing Was Racially Motivated
- Fs and Ds On Balitmore’s ‘Healthy Harbor Report Card’
- Bond Review Planned In Univ. of Maryland Stabbing Case
- Residents Catch Burglary Suspect, Hold Him Until Police Arrive