BALTIMORE (WJZ)– Prince George’s County officials think they have a plan to help more than 2 dozen property owners whose homes were affected by a landslide earlier this year.
Jessica Kartalija explains, the plan will cost $ 4 Million more than the county has.
Another meeting with homeowners in Prince Georges County has county officials hopeful they have a solution to help 28 families. In May heavy rains triggered a landslide in the Piscataway Hills neighborhood leaving many of their homes unsafe.
“We will still lose our house no matter what so for us personally, that responsibility is becoming a reality,” said one resident.
The $15 million plan would fix the road and provide new water and a sewer line. The county only has $11 million in their budget.
“The deck on the first level is right off our family room,” said homeowner Terry Gardner.
Gardner owns a home a half mile from the slope failure, and the house wasn’t damaged. Under the new plan he would be able to stay there.
“It was encouraging but I think it’s about 50 percent there,” Gardner added.
It’s 50 percent because even homeowners who’d benefit from the new plan want the other homes saved as well.
“We want the plan that will allow us to stay in our homes before, during and after the construction,” said Gardner.
“We would all like that to happen but don’t think that’s possible,” said Prince Georges County Executive Rushern Baker.
The county says they are hopeful the state will provide additional funds still Baker says saving all 28 homes will be tough.
“We are going to go in with an open mind, if they found out something that we haven’t we will consider it.”
Other Local News:
- Police: Man Who Allegedly Killed 3 Co-workers Captured After Hours-Long Manhunt
- Baltimore Sends Proposal To Become Home Of Amazon’s HQ2
- Edgewood Business Mourning ‘The Loss Of Our Friends’ After Shooting
- Maryland Business Park Shooting Suspect Fired From Earlier Job
- 4 Killed In Tuesday Westminster Crash Identified; One Car Went 100+ MPH