COLUMBIA, Md. (WJZ) — Drugs, overdoses and a death. Police say dozens of concertgoers at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Howard County were hospitalized.
Mary Bubala reports one young man actually died after attending the all-day concert Friday.
Thousands packed into Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia for the all-day Mad Decent Block Party concert. But soon, ambulances were at the scene.
Police say more than 20 young people were rushed to the hospital for drug overdoses, including 20-year-old Tyler Viscardi of Raleigh, North Carolina. He was pronounced dead shortly after from an apparent drug overdose.
The concert promoter made this statement on Twitter: “Our hearts go out to everyone impacted by yesterday’s event. We are saddened by the news.”
The Mad Decent Block Party music festival travels across the country. Police say similar problems with drug overdoses have been seen at their concerts elsewhere.
“This has been a very deadly summer for concerts. We’ve seen literally dozens of young people die at these concerts–mostly taking the drug ‘molly,’ which is a form of ecstasy,” said Mike Gimbel, substance abuse expert. “And it’s become very popular this summer at a lot of the outdoor concerts. And young kids are taking it, very young kids, and they don’t know what they’re taking. They’re ending up getting something that’s fake or something that’s a little too strong.”
Police also issued 50 citations for underage drinking and arrested three people for assault and drug possession.
Other Local News:
- Loved Ones, Colleagues Remember Off-Duty Maryland Officers Fatally Struck On Highway
- Made In Baltimore Pop-Up Shop Encourages Local Gift Buying
- Former KKK Member Turned Catholic Priest Apologizes To Black Family For Cross Burning
- Vegas Shooting Victim From Md. Leaves Rehab; Has Several Days Away From Doctors
- Baltimore Native, WWE Wrestler Rich Swann Arrested, Charged With Battery Of Wife