EDGEWATER, Md. (WJZ)—A 20-year-old man is charged with DUI after he crashed into an office building and then fled the scene in Anne Arundel County.
It happened Tuesday around 1:48 a.m. Officers responded to the Mayo Office Building in the 600-block of Central Avenue after witnesses say a red Toyota four door vehicle had just struck the building, and the driver got into another vehicle and left the scene.
Upon arrival, officers discovered a badly damaged vehicle as well as damage to the building. The vehicle was unoccupied. The immediate area was canvassed, but the driver was not located.
The property owner was contacted and responded to the scene. A short time later, the suspect—now identified as 20-year-old Robert Damon Bernhard, of Edgewater— returned to the scene.
Police say Bernhard was driving the car under the influence of alcohol when he crashed into the building.
On scene officers detected the odor of an alcohol emanating from his breath and noticed that his eyes were glassy and his speech was slurred.
The officers then conducted a series of field sobriety tests, including requests to maintain his balance, which Bernhard performed poorly.
The vehicle was towed and Bernhard was transported to Southern District. In addition to DUI, he is charged with failure to remain at the scene of a property damage accident.
Other Local News:
- Police: Abingdon Man Charged For Pointing Gun At Vehicle In ‘Road Rage Incident’
- Several Transported To Hospitals After Limo Crash In Havre de Grace
- Baltimore Police: Public Enemy No. 1 Arrested After Tip
- City Officials Detail Safety Problems After ‘Bell Foundry’ Condemned
- Fatal Fire Claims Lives Of 2 Young Brothers In East Baltimore