Vigil Held In Honor Of Teen Who Died At Mad Decent Block Party
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A teenager died of a suspected drug overdose at a Howard County music festival. Nearly two dozen people were hospitalized that night and there’s fear this problem is growing.
Mike Hellgren has more on a vigil for Daniel Anders.
Daniel Anders was the youngest to die at the Mad Decent Block Party at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia last week. Twenty were hospitalized and two lost their lives, including University of Maryland student Tyler Viscardi. Police say they believe some may have overdosed on the club drug Molly.
Wednesday night, hundreds came together at Anders’ high school in northern Virginia to remember his short life. He turned 17 just weeks ago.
“It’s really shocking,” said fellow student Cristhian Sejas. “Everybody’s been showing support. Everybody’s been reaching out to the family.”
“It’s hitting kids hard,” said LeRoy Barnes.
Grief counselors have reached out to students.
Anders was in the choir and one friend wrote online that his voice will be in her heart forever.
WJZ has reported on the dangers of Molly, ecstasy and MDMA. They are often mixed with other chemicals and users don’t know what’s being put in their bodies.
In the wake of the Mad Decent tragedy, authorities are ramping up safety measures for another electronic music festival called Moonrise, scheduled this weekend at Pimlico in Baltimore.
“We’re planning to bring some people in and we’re planning to use some of our additional backup units,” said Captain Roman Clark.
They hope to avoid the heartbreak that so many close to Anders are feeling right now.
“This has to send a message. Tomorrow’s not really promised to anybody,” said Barnes.
Anders’ funeral is on Friday. A fund set up in his memory has already raised more than $4,000.
Other Local News:
- Christian Retreat Official ‘Heartbroken’ Over Stabbings
- Court Orders EPA To Redo Air-Pollution Limits In 13 States
- Police In West Baltimore Shoot Man After Hitting Officer With His Car
- Administration Wants To Give Prisoners Access To Pell Grants
- Boy Who Lost Limbs To Infection Gets Double-Hand Transplant