Supermoon Takes Center Stage
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Call it the summer of the supermoons. If you looked up in sky Sunday night, you saw something fairly rare and spectacular.
Linh Bui has more on the glorious sight.
The weekend proved to be an eye-popping one for sky-watchers.
The reason why? For the second time this year, a supermoon was visible. It happens when a full moon coincides with the moon’s closest approach to Earth.
All over the world, people gazed in awe.
When these celestial events happen, the full moon appears 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than normal full moons.
If you missed it Sunday night, don’t worry. You will get another chance to see the supermoon on September 9.
Other Local News:
- 8 Officers & 6 Detainees Injured In Baltimore Incident
- Live TV Killings Sparking New Calls For Gun Control Reform
- Baltimore Police Cancel Leave For Officers During Freddie Gray Hearings
- State Looking Into O’Malley’s Discount Purchase Of Furniture
- Ride Operator Found Dead In Trailer At Maryland State Fair