Supermoon Takes Center Stage
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Call it the summer of the supermoons. If you looked up in sky Sunday night, you saw something fairly rare and spectacular.
Linh Bui has more on the glorious sight.
The weekend proved to be an eye-popping one for sky-watchers.
The reason why? For the second time this year, a supermoon was visible. It happens when a full moon coincides with the moon’s closest approach to Earth.
All over the world, people gazed in awe.
When these celestial events happen, the full moon appears 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than normal full moons.
If you missed it Sunday night, don’t worry. You will get another chance to see the supermoon on September 9.
Other Local News:
- Investigation Continues Into Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against 2 Firefighters
- Feds: Baltimore Jail Illegally Keeping Juveniles In Solitary
- Obama Talks About Drug Trade With ‘The Wire’ Creator David Simon
- W.Va. Woman Gets Year In Jail For Crash That Killed Md. Girl
- Md. Farmer Gets Life In Prison For Worker’s Shooting Death