DUNDALK, Md. (WJZ)—Baltimore County Police have charged a Dundalk man in connection with the theft of two historic gates from Battle Acre Park in Dundalk in June.
George Elias Sotirakis, 34, is charged with theft from $10,000 to under $100,000. He has been released on $50,000 bail.
A contractor that was working on renovations at the park noticed that two 100-year-old gates were missing on June 30. The gates were last seen on June 25.
The gates had a replacement value of $4000 and an estimated actual value of $10,000 due to their historic nature.
Detectives identified Sotirakis as a suspect through surveillance video, information from local scrap yards and other investigative methods.
Detectives believe that the gates have already been scrapped.
This incident remains under investigation.
Battle Acre Park is part of the field on which the Battle of North Point was fought in 1814.
Other Local News:
- Baltimore Farmers’ Market Looking To Add More Vendors For 2018 Season
- Md. Teen Celebrates Graduation After Attempted Murder Charges Dropped
- Plane Headed To Maryland Crashes Killing 3 People, 1 Dog
- 1 Dead, 3 Injured In Single-Vehicle Crash In Pasadena
- Power Outage Cripples Atlanta Airport, Some BWI Flights Impacted