Officers, Suspect Killed Identified In Police-Involved Shooting In Ellicott City
ELLICOTT CITY, Md. (WJZ)– Howard County Police have confirmed the identity of a man wielding a knife and the police officers who shot him.
Police shot and killed Hernan Ossorio, 61, of Ellicott City, after he confronted officers with a knife and refused to drop the weapon.
It happened around 6:30 a.m. Saturday. Officers were responding after a call came in to 911 to report that “someone with a knife was going to kill everyone in the house.”
Ossorio approached the officers when they arrived and refused the commands of the officers to drop the weapon. They first deployed a Taser weapon, but it was ineffective. Ossorio continued to confront officers with the knife and that’s when they opened fired, killing Ossorio.
Police Officer First Class Russell DiAngelo, 25, a member of HCPD for four years, and Officer Susannah Raff, 22, who joined the department last year, were the officers who shot Ossorio.
Family members advised police that he had been recently talking about suicide. One other family member was in the home at the time of the incident and was unharmed. Both officers have been placed on administrative leave during a routine internal investigation.
Other Local News:
- Investigation Continues Into Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against 2 Firefighters
- Feds: Baltimore Jail Illegally Keeping Juveniles In Solitary
- Obama Talks About Drug Trade With ‘The Wire’ Creator David Simon
- W.Va. Woman Gets Year In Jail For Crash That Killed Md. Girl
- Md. Farmer Gets Life In Prison For Worker’s Shooting Death