MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) — There is an apparent outbreak of whooping cough at Montgomery County Public Schools.
According to health officials, all of the sick children went to the same summer camp in Pennsylvania.
Parents received a letter alerting them of three confirmed and nine suspected cases of the disease.
The students attend four different schools in Montgomery County: Robert Frost Middle School, Julius West Middle School, Cabin John Middle School and Cold Springs Elementary School.
Whooping cough is highly contagious and children in Maryland are required to get the vaccine.
It can cause violent coughing and those with the disease make a deep whooping sound when they try and breathe.
Other Local News:
- Baltimore Church Gets Street Renamed After Pastor Who Helped Rebuild Following Fire
- UMBC Fans Across Maryland Cheering On Underdogs’ Historic NCAA Tournament Run
- UMBC Retrievers Hungry For Win Against Kansas State
- Baltimore Fire Department Misses Goal For Smoke Alarms
- Bill Requires Neighborhood Input Into Baltimore Project