MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) — There is an apparent outbreak of whooping cough at Montgomery County Public Schools.
According to health officials, all of the sick children went to the same summer camp in Pennsylvania.
Parents received a letter alerting them of three confirmed and nine suspected cases of the disease.
The students attend four different schools in Montgomery County: Robert Frost Middle School, Julius West Middle School, Cabin John Middle School and Cold Springs Elementary School.
Whooping cough is highly contagious and children in Maryland are required to get the vaccine.
It can cause violent coughing and those with the disease make a deep whooping sound when they try and breathe.
Other Local News:
- Hampden Community Holds Vigil for New York Man Killed by Baltimore Man
- BPD ID’d Officer Who Shot & Killed Man; Held 2 Toddlers at Knife-point
- Orioles Season Ticket-Holders Get First Dibs at Seats at Tag Day
- DuPont Family Trust Lawsuit Moved from Maryland to Delaware
- Women’s History Month Rally Held In Annapolis