MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) — There is an apparent outbreak of whooping cough at Montgomery County Public Schools.
According to health officials, all of the sick children went to the same summer camp in Pennsylvania.
Parents received a letter alerting them of three confirmed and nine suspected cases of the disease.
The students attend four different schools in Montgomery County: Robert Frost Middle School, Julius West Middle School, Cabin John Middle School and Cold Springs Elementary School.
Whooping cough is highly contagious and children in Maryland are required to get the vaccine.
It can cause violent coughing and those with the disease make a deep whooping sound when they try and breathe.
Other Local News:
- Light City Back In 2017 With ‘Bigger, Brighter, Bolder’ Festival
- DC Bakery Says It Was Asked To Copy Obama’s 2013 Cake, Donated Profits To HRC
- Wind Uproots Tree, Causing It To Fall Into Columbia Home
- Woman Found Shot In Crashed Vehicle; Later Dies At Hospital
- Md. State Police Classes Down By Half, Recruitment Is Priority