Baltimore County Police ID Officer Who Shot Korryn Gaines

RANDALLSTOWN, Md. (WJZ) — One month after the death of Korryn Gaines, Baltimore County Police have identified the officer that shot her.

Police say Officer First Class Ruby is a member of the Support Operations Division and a 16-year veteran of the department. He has been involved in one prior police-involved shooting, in August 2007.

The week of the shooting, which took place August 1 in Randallstown, Chief Jim Johnson said he opted not to identify the officer due to an “unprecedented number of threats” against the department.

Gaines, 23, was shot after pointing a Mossberg shotgun at officers and threatening to kill them while they were attempting to serve arrest warrants on her and her boyfriend, 39-year-old Kareem Kiean Courtney, investigators say.

According to BCoPD, officers responded to a home in the unit block of Sulky Court that day around 9:20 a.m.

The arrest warrant for Gaines stemmed from a traffic stop that occurred back in March when she was charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. Police were also serving an arrest warrant for Courtney on second degree assault charges.

Upon arrival to the home, police say three officers knocked on the door of the residence but no one answered. Minutes later, after overhearing the voices of a man and woman and a child’s cries coming from inside, officers opened the door using a key obtained from the landlord.

During a new conference the day after the shooting, Johnson said officers could see Gaines sitting on the floor with a child nearby. Johnson says Gaines immediately began wielding the shotgun, bringing it into the ready position and directing at the officers.

Three officers then retreated to the hallway outside and called for backup, according to police.

Johnson says tactical teams surrounded the home and negotiations began with Gaines around 9:40 a.m.

Minutes later, Courtney ran out of the home with a 1-year-old boy and was immediately apprehended. He was arrested on a warrant for second degree assault and was later released.

During the 7-hour stand-off, police say Gaines used social media to broadcast the ongoing situation.

There is some controversy surrounding the fact that police asked Facebook to deactivate her accounts and remove those videos, but they say her followers were encouraging her not to comply with requests that she surrender peacefully.

At approximately 4 p.m., officers again attempted to negotiate with Gaines — who was still with her 5-year-old son — into surrendering, but police say she refused and pointed the gun at officers multiple times, even threatening to kill them saying, “”If you don’t leave, I’m going to kill you.”

Johnson says it was at this point that a tactical officer discharged one round toward Gaines, but police do not know if she was struck.

Gaines then returned fire, but no officers were struck.

Officers then fired back, hitting and killing Gaines. When officers went to render aid, they noticed that the 5-year-old boy, Gaines’s son Kodi, was also struck. He sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

This is a developing story.

Follow @CBSBaltimore on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook

More from Devin Bartolotta

One Comment

  1. michele says:

    Kodi was not only shot in his face but he was also shot in his elbow and he one year old is a girl not a boy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network
CBS All Access

Listen Live