By Devin Bartolotta

BEL AIR, Md. (WJZ) — The ripple effects of a family killed in a horrifying murder-suicide are being felt throughout central Maryland. The tragedy unfolded Wednesday in both Harford and Prince George’s counties.

Thursday would have been Farhad Siddique’s 20th birthday. Instead, police are now piecing together what drove his father to kill him and his mother, before turning the gun on himself.

From the outside looking in, the Saddique family appeared happy.

“We had no previous indications of any problems at the house, no calls for service, no domestic violence or anything like that.”

But sometime Wednesday, the family’s picture-perfect home turned to a horrifying crime scene. Police believe 58-year-old Nasir Saddique — a retired Army officer — shot his wife, Zarqua, in the head in the bathroom.

According to police, Nasir then got in his car and drove more than 60 miles to his son, Farhad’s, apartment in College Park, got him into his car, killed him and then turned the gun on himself.

“A handgun was recovered from the lap and hand of our suspect in this case.”

Zarqua, 48, was an aide for severely disabled students at Prospect Mill Elementary School. Parents tell WJZ the school sent home letters with students, explaining what happened, and letting them know counseling would be available.

Meanwhile, friends are mourning Farhad — a junior pre-med major — posting tributes on social media. The news of his death spread quickly to classmates who live nearby.

“It’s kind of scary. I don’t really know what to say about it because I just heard the news and this is very scary,” one student said.

“It’s a family issue, so I’m not sure if we should be feeling unsafe, because otherwise, it’s pretty safe here,” said another.

That family issue — still a shock to many — as the police investigation continues.

Possibly shedding some light on his mindset — according to our media partner, The Baltimore Sun, Nasir had sent a text to his brother that morning, saying he was feeling depressed and stressed at work.

Police have not released Nasir’s motive in this case, but did say a note was left behind at the family home.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE