LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A fire official says smoke that led to the evacuation of a plane at Louisville International Airport was caused by a Samsung device.
Louisville Metro Arson Capt. Kevin Fletcher told news outlets that the device overheated Wednesday morning and began to smoke, which led Southwest Airlines to evacuate the plane prior to departure.
According to CBS affiliate WLKY, the plane was headed to Baltimore before the smoky incident.
Airport authority spokeswoman Natalie Chaudoin said 75 passengers and crew were evacuated. She says no one was injured.
Fletcher says there was minor damage to the plane’s carpet where the device was dropped.
U.S. safety regulators announced a formal recall last month of Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after a spate of fires led to injuries and property damage.
Samsung said in a statement that it’s working with authorities to recover the device and confirm the cause.
(Copyright 2016 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)