Maryland Schools Agency Denies it Was Source of Data Breach

FREDERICK, Md. (AP) — The Maryland State Department of Education says it was not the source of a data breach that exposed personal information of about 1,000 former Frederick County students.

The department released a statement Monday contradicting one that Frederick County Public Schools issued Sunday. The county statement said an investigation indicated the information may have been stolen from the state, citing an attack on the department’s computers.

The department says that was an unsuccessful attack in 2012, at least two years after the breach that exposed the student data.

Frederick County Schools Superintendent Theresa Alban said in a video statement Monday that it’s impossible to identify the source.

Frederick County schools announced last week that the information about students who were enrolled in 2005 and 2006 had been stolen sometime before 2010.

 

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network Play.it

Watch & Listen LIVE