Tale Of The Tape: Lower Level Vs. Nose Bleeds
- View of the GameIn this case closer is almost always better. Fans can see the expressions on the players faces. You see the liter of sunflower seed shells on the grass. Way better than your HD TV at home.Let's put it this way... You can see the whole field at once. You're not a mile away but at least you have an excuse to dust off those old binoculars. The view on TV might be more clear.
- Fan AttentionEvery fan in the lower seats is paying attention to the game. They have to. A foul ball or loose bat could turn an evening at the Park to a night in the ER.Half of the fans in the upper levels don't really seem to be paying attention. Go ahead, ask someone the score sometime or who's up to bat sometime. Sorry for interrupting your cell phone clicking... Carry on.
- OpportunitiesFoul balls, home runs, an autograph during batting practice... There's so many chances to go home with a souvenir.There will be a few balls fouled off that might just reach the upper level but they're few and far between. You may just end up on the big screen though, so try not to pick your nose.
- AtmosphereIf you get the chance to sit anywhere near the dugout you'll find 2 types of people there: supporters and hecklers. The supporter claps and says "good eye" while the heckler talks about the visiting team's mothers.If you've ever been to the game on student night or with a group of friends, you know the Upper Reserve can be a party. Some nights when prices drop enough, high school and college students flock to the Yard. It can be amusing or annoying but almost always makes for some free entertainment.
- View of the CityThe best you get is the tops of a few buildings... not very scenic.One you make the climb or take the escalator ride to the top, take a look out over the city of Baltimore. Take it in. It's a beautiful view (in most directions). And let's not forget those sunsets.
- BargainSure a guy will walk you down, show you your seats and even wipe it off for you before you sit down. You may even have a server come hand you a menu and ask if he/she can bring you anything BUT be prepared to spend a little extra coin on those seats.$7 Student Night. $9 Bargain Night... I mean what's your excuse for not going to a game or two? After all you're watching the same game as those suckers who paid 5 times as much as you did.
- WeatherWhen it rains you have to head for cover. When it's hot, it's really hot. Not much of a breeze is blowing down at field level.Rain? No problem. Hot? Hey, feel that breeze? Kick your feet up in one of those empty seats and enjoy the summer.
I guess it's true that it doesn't matter where you sit. Just being at the game is a great experience. The crab shuffle and hot dog race are fun for the kids. They even do some trivia for the adults. Doing the Wave in your living room and yelling "CHARGE! " might get you admitted into an institution but at the Yard you can go nuts. Get up and stretch in the middle of the 7th and even dance to Cotton-Eyed Joe or Thank God I'm A Country Boy. Just make sure you get out there and support your Orioles.