BROOKLYN, Md. (WJZ) — A gunman stormed a local pizza shop trying to rob it, but he ended up getting more than he bargained for.  Kelly McPherson has more.

The store owner says that business has been slow lately and he just couldn’t financially handle another robbery.  That determination is pretty clear from all angles of his surveillance video.

Around closing time, a man walked into Pizza Boli’s.  The owner was there, working near the oven that night.

“While he was walking, I had suspicions that he was doing something.  Meanwhile, he pulled a gun and said, `I’m not playing,'” said owner Choudhry Younis.  “I said, `I’m not playing, either.'”

And he attacked the would-be robber, chasing him all the way to the door.  Several secuirt cameras captured no hesitation from the man who’s owned this Brooklyn Park shop for eight years.  He grabbed the only thing he had: a metal spatula.

“I’m not going to give him my hard-earned money like this, so I just took my chances and I hit him,” Younis said.  “He got distracted with my other employee and I had a minute so I just banged it, once, twice, and then he dropped the gun.”

Two weeks ago, a robber came into the same shop from the back and got money out of the cash register and off of an employee–but not this time.

“As he was running, I just threw this behind him and hit him in the back,” Younis said.

Younis and his employee held 21-year-old Mark Ensinger down on the ground.  Outside was an accomplice, Heather Horton, who begged them to let him go.

“I said, `If he had a chance, he would have shot me.  Now you tell me to let him go?’  He said, `Let me go, please, let me go.’  I said, `No, you’re going to see the police,'” Younis said.

A customer waiting in her car called 911 while the two men held down the intruder.  Ensinger and Horton have been charged with several counts; they did not get away with anything.

The pair will also face child endangerment charges after Anne Arundel County police say they found Ensinger’s nine-month-old baby abandoned in the couple’s hotel room.

Comments (8)
  1. Lourdes (Lulu) says:

How stupid! Lol!

2. Mila Bowman says:

Had I not read the last part about them having left their child in the hotel room as they went robbing places, I would have just pegged them as everyday losers. However, the mear fact that they have a young child, have stayed together, and are robbing places for cash(assuming that drugs are not involved, there hasnt been a mention of it)….it isnt so much of a case of stupid criminals, rather, it seems like a case of a poor, uneducated family unit, living in poverty, trying to take care of their own. I am in no way what so ever condoning robbery, armed or not, b but there are always two sides to a story.

If I hear more on this sad story, like they were robbing places for cash to buy drugs or that the child is being abused, or neglected intentionally, I will change my point of view.

There are always two sides to a story. The question we should be asking is, why?

**Note** I repeat, I am NOT saying crimes are EVER the right thing to do, and each law broken should have a fair and equal consequence.

1. realist says:

You are only feeling empathy because they are white. If was a black couple or hispanic couple you’d probably say they were doing it for drugs. Criminals are criminals.

3. Dreamer23 says:

This robber is lucky he wasn’t trying to pull this off in NC. Down here, our pizza shop employees have concealed carry permits, and can actually defend themselves in a meaningful manner against thugs and crooks… When the government (like in MD) denies aw-abiding citizens the right to self defense, THAT is a crime… Wake up MD–it’s time to DEMAND that your legislature recognizes the FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT of self-defense for law-abiding citizens…

4. ToneGrail says:

Actually not to niitpick, but Choudry could have legally cleaned up the Baltimore gene pool by shooting this thug. In MD, business owners and law-abiding citizens alike are permitted to pack heat without a permit on their own premises. Choudry was actually very lucky he didn’t get shot. Bringing a spatula to a gunfight isn’t the best strategy. It would be nice to be able to defend yourself outside your own property though.

5. MKEgal says:

Good for him!!! Way to go, Choudry!

Too bad you didn’t do more damage to the criminal, but the police have him & it’s all on tape, so hopefully he’ll be out of circulation for at least a little while.

Ever think about arming yourself & your employees?