BALTIMORE (WJZ)—City police are asking for the public’s help to find the person who attacked and stabbed a city Department of Public Works worker. It happened Sunday morning at a gas station in West Baltimore.

Derek Valcourt spoke with the victim’s mother.

Police are releasing new surveillance camera images as they try to track down the killer.

Take a good look at the man city police are anxious to question over a murder that occurred early Sunday morning in the parking lot of the Shell gas station at the intersection of Edmondson and Swann avenues.

Sandra Wooten is the victim’s mother.

“I started screaming. I screamed for a minute,” Wooten said.

She says she’ll never forget learning that her son David McLaughlin, 24, a father of three who worked for the city’s Department of Public Works, was stabbed to death.

It happened at 2:20 a.m., just after many area bars had closed up for the night.

Police think there may have been witnesses.

“So that’s what we’re trying to find out, if there was anyone there that may have been there at the time that this incident occurred. Maybe they can come forward and provide us with some information,” said Sgt. Kevin Hagan, Baltimore City Police.

Police say McLaughlin and his friends had spent their evening at Peju’s nightclub in Woodlawn.  As the bar closed they got into an argument with another group in the parking lot.  Police say what McLaughlin and his friends didn’t realize was as they left, that group began to follow them.

That group followed McLaughlin and his friends to the gas station where police say they began to fight.

Nearby surveillance cameras captured some of the dispute.

Police are now releasing several pictures, including a minivan that may have been involved. They say they want to question these people and need the public’s help to identify them.

“Those images there. That’s a start,” Wooten said.

Wooten says for the sake of her family and for her son’s children, she hopes the killer is caught.

“I just want people to speak up. If you know anything, if you saw anything, if you hear anything, to please get in contact with the Baltimore City Homicide Department so that we can have closure,” Wooten said.

Family members say funeral services for David McLaughlin are planned for Monday.

Comments (19)
  1. keith says:

CALLING ALL CARS…ATTENTION APB OUT ON BIG BLURRY BLACK MALE.

get real police department…how in the hell is anyone going to recognize anyone from that photo?

2. cf says:

If you know them you will recognize them.

3. Char says:

Ditto!!! Billiam and Julz and CF…

4. Shakiara says:

PPL R CRAZY THEY SHOULD STOP BECAUSE LITTLE KIDS R WATCHING THEM AS GROWN UPS, AND ROLE MODELS COME ON NOW EVERY ONE BE SAFE LOCK ALL YOUR DOORS AND CAR DOORS KEEP YOUR KIDS WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. truthteller says:

what about all the drug dealers on PENNINGTON AVENUE?

1. Billiam says:

We wait for your answer, oh wise one. My thought is Potee Street got too crowded.

6. truthteller says:

why does a gallon of milk cost more than a gallon of gas ? is there a shortage of cows?

7. Ex-Baltimore says:

If I said it once, I’ll say it again: The Baltimore area Black club scene is filled with the most vile and violent criminal savages! I witnessed too many fights and two shootings in the past trying to club and have a good time with these animals. Now, I’m just content sitting on my couch with my wife in my drawers on Firday and Saturday nights. The only places I do hang on a weekend night every now and them is at white bars. It’s as safe as Sunday school in them.

8. Ex-Baltimore says:

My fellow Blacks are ignorant! Always defending and dening the huge violence problem that we have in our communities that are out of proportion to any other race in this country. Y’all dumb field hands are truly the problem. Bill Cosby is right! My grandmother always told me, “A n—-r ain’t worth s–t”!

1. pigeon says:

My heart aches for his family and I do pray for them. Oh so senseless; no respect for human life!
      I’d love for one or all of the TV stations to air some of Bill Cosby’s “speeches”; there is a lot to be learned by people of all races if they would only open their minds and soles. As with all the reality shows on a weekly basis, why not do the same with Mr. Cosby’s commentaries.

9. Baltimorebob says:

Well first all lets get real and stop all the bs people crime is crime no matter what race does it what everyone needs to do is join togther and take back our streets and impose stronger pentleys four crimes and I say may god have mercy on gis soul and touch his famaily and help them ALSO WAKE UP BCPD GET IT TIGTHER PLEASE

10. tonyafaison says:

MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE WHOLE FAMILY WE OUR SELVES ARE STILL FACING A’TRAGIC MURDER OF ONE OF OUR LOVE ONES THAT HAPPENED A’FEW YEARS BACK NOBODY WANTS TO GET INVLOVED AND HE WAS 15;YEARS OLD DIED BY A’ 30’SOMETHING YEAR OLD GROWN MAN THATS STILL OUT HERE SOMEWHERE BELIEVE ME PEOLPE KNOW BUT WANT TELL WHY FEAR AFRAID OF SOMEONE FINDIING OUT THAT THEY SNITCHED THATS WHY CRIME IS AT A’HIGH RATE BUT TO ALL THAT DOES WICKED AND EVIL BRUTAL CRIMES LKIE THAT NEED TO REMEMBER THAT WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND 10’FOLD BADDER AND WORSER.AND EVEN THOUGH I’DONT KNOW NOT ONE PERSON IN THIS FAMILY I’AM AND WILL BE PRAYING HARD FOE JUSTICE TO COME SOON.AMEN

11. brittney says:

My condolences to the family, I went to school with him and lived in the same area as kids. Its sad that our youth continue to kill each other over petty mishaps! I have 2 kids and I am moving to that area and it doesn’t make me feel to safe! My fiance goes to that gas station on the regular and it worries me!