BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Family and friends of the youngest victim of a quadruple shooting gathered to say farewell Saturday as the search for 12-year-old Sean Johnson’s killer continues.
Gigi Barnett takes a look at how the boy is helping others, even in death.
Johnson was sitting on a friend’s porch last week, watching a basketball game on television, when someone opened fire. One of the bullets hit Johnson, piercing his head and leaving him brain dead.
As police search for the gunman, his family and friends gathered at the First Apostolic Faith Church in East Baltimore to say goodbye.
“He’ll never get to graduate from high school, walk across that stage, to go to prom, to even fill out college applications. It’s just so sad and senseless that we have to go through this,” said Sean’s aunt, Dionne Knight.
Sean’s family and friends believe he would have done it all. The 12-year-old was a model student at Montebello Elementary/Middle School.
“He was not a troublemaker. He was an A student in school, always helping somebody,” said his aunt, Delores Brown.
Even helping in death. Sean was an organ donor.
“He would have wanted to help somebody, even in this situation. We look at it like he died so somebody may have another chance at life,” Brown said.
“This needs to be a change moment in Baltimore City,” said Councilwoman Mary Pat Clarke.
Clarke has kept close contact with Johnson’s family. She’s also keeping a close eye on the police investigation to find Johnson’s killer, but information is slow.
“I think things will get solved,” she said.
Detectives have few leads and, as they search for suspects, they’re also looking for witnesses who can provide a break in the case.
City detectives say anyone with information can call Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7-LOCKUP.