TOWSON, Md. (WJZ) — A woman and her young daughter were found murdered inside their Baltimore County apartment.  Mike Hellgren has the latest.

According to police, the woman, Alicia Lee Avery, was a key witness in an upcoming trial.  Baltimore City police had relocated Avery and her daughter, who were enrolled in a witness protection program, and Baltimore County police were not aware of the situation, they said.

The state’s attorney will not release any details of the case Avery was involved in and the victims’ loved ones are trying to make sense of it all.

Police found the bodies of the mom and little girl at their home off Loch Raven Boulevard. They had not been heard from in several days.

“Anytime that you are being put in a program you are not in your home and protected, you are never feeling safe. You will never feel safe when the system lets you down,” said one family member.

“A couple of weeks before this she said come get me, come get me. I never got her. That hurts me the most,” said another family member.

Police have not said how the victims were killed or made public the details that put Avery in witness protection, but they are pursuing leads to find the person who killed Avery and her daughter.

“It is very senseless,” said a family member. “Everyone is devasted. It is like unbelievable.”

Autopsies are underway at the Medical Examiner’s office. So far, police have no suspects and no motive, leaving neighbors on edge. They are offering a reward for anybody with information that leads to an arrest in the case.

Comments (65)
  1. Sylvan Finkelstein says:

SUCH A TRAGEDY FOR THIS FAMILY

2. skyy says:

she was apart of witness protection in which the police failed to protect!

1. Billiam says:

That’s a very interesting comment – I’m sure law enforcement would like to know how you knew that.

1. Alexandra Brown says:

I would like to know as well?

2. Sam is Smart says:

Well, anyone who read the article can see it said that she was RELOCATED BY THE BALTIMORE CITY POLICE, in other words, as a WITNESS in a trial, she was being PROTECTED. However, no one let the Baltimore County Police in on that plan.

I’m no law enforcement, but that wasn’t difficult to figure out. I don’t think Skyy is some sort of spy or informant.

3. C Scott says:

Sam is Smart, I concur!

4. Sam is Smart says:

I knew I wasn’t grasping at straws when I came up with my handle! There is truth in my name.

5. Jasmin says:

@Sam WJZ just updated the title. That information was NOT on the story earlier this morning. So if someone saw the story before 3pm, they would not have known that she was in witness protection unless they came back to the story

6. Sam is Smart says:

That may be the case, but I find it funny how when someone states a fact, everyone thinks he/she was in on it. Like they’re some super-sleuth that’s solved the case.

“Skyy seems to know they were in the witness protection program! He/she is the perpetrator! I’ll point my finger at them in the comments of this article and the BCPD will surely get there man. I’ll be a hero!”

At least that’s my interpretation of how people react to someone with knowledge of the case beyond their own.

7. kristen says:

because the news released that info when the detectives came to her apt

8. Leigh Ann Erdman says:

HELLOOOO, the article says she was in witness protection.

9. jim says:

Did you even read this article before writing such lame comment?

2. Rae says:

One would think if BCPD were relocating someone who was due to testify as a witness in an upcoming trial that they would relocate them a bit further than practically just over the City line… that’s like playing “hide and go seek” with a 3 year old – they don’t hide or stay put very well without being detected…

1. Sam is Smart says:

Another very good point.

I think the poor placement of the victim and her child, coupled with the lack of communication between the precincts, plays a LARGE factor in this tragedy.

3. smoky says:

the family should sue the hell out of the police department/ witness protect program.
      some body got paid in releasing the location of that mother and child.that was killed.

JUSTICE HAS DIED. I you can pay the courts and police office enough money to throw the case and release the info., then the criminal walks free and the victims are dead.

3. honey says:

The police department lie in order to gather the information to builda strong case against the criminal to be brought to court. after all of the real facts to prove the crime is known, the poor victims that make the report that support the crime are left expose for any injustices to harm them and any one connect to the crimes.

That is the main reason why people will not come forth and report what they have witness about murders, shoot, drug deal, etc. because the legal system and the fake witness protection program is a total lie in protecting poor people that do not have the heavy cash cow to paid top level lawyers and judges

Now, here it is another person and child is dead because t.he young 27 yr. old mother try to take a stand and do what is right in telling the truth only to have her and her baby daughter killed. This is getting too be totally out of control legal system is the blame for the dirt and crime that took place. The under dogs were paid.

My prayers go out to the family members and friends that lost these two beautiful people in their lives

People fail to realize this type of situation can occur to any one at any given time. No one is to ever be trusted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not even the police or any one with in the legal system !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Deez Tae Tae Nutz says:

Thank you so much for your kind words, I pray to GOD that they catch the animal who did this and make baltimore police pay for this. My nephew and his family thanks you all for your condolences. Please pray for them because they are going through a rough time right now.

4. SMC says:

@Skyy: Interesting. Are you positive this young woman was in the witness protection program?

5. OpenMindedAndLoving says:

Why do almost all of these comments revolve around race???? This young lady and her daughter both have family. They may be reading this and to top off the grief they feel about losing these two people they have to read ignorant comments. Why do you people comment on here if everything saidy is negative and unfounded “facts?

6. Prayer says:

I offer my prayers to her family. I can not imagine the pain.

7. Hmmm,,, says:

I don’t know if she was a victim of retaliation for testifying but local law enforcement has s poor track record of protecting witnesses yet wonder why its a challenge to get witnesses to come forward.

8. independent says:

The murder of a witness is one of the most maddening and destructive types of loss for society, leading to numerous and difficult problems.

Death penalty and lowered bar for proving guilty those who stand to gain from this murder, and the loss of the little ones.

9. SMC says:

Why was it so easy to locate a witness when their identity and whereabouts are supposed to be confidential? There is a leak somewhere. How did the perpetrators find her? Again, bush league professionalism at its best. A young woman and her child murdered because the police allowed personal information to leak. Maybe it was the Lawyers who dropped the ball, but someone needs to be held accountable for this young womans death. Unbelievable.

1. Kimberly Blackwell says:

yup i agree gee whiz they dont no who killed her g i wonder and if she was in witness protection the lawyers wouldnt of have known i definitly think theres a leak n its more than likely coming from balto city police dept someone nos something theyll have to answer to god for that

2. r says:

maybe she wasn’t careful herself

3. kristen says:

She was just over the city line in baltimore county. She was a witness for baltimore city. Clearly the accident lies in the police dept because they should have moved her further away. also baltimore is only so big, therefore the idea that ppl that could have seen her grocery shopping, doing laundry, or whatever and told who she was being so called “protected” from is not far fetched.

4. Mike says:

Maybe someone in the family let something slip. Talking to someone you believe is a friend when they are not.

10. bmore life says:

Sad sad sad. No matter the race …… The police let another citizen down and then they wonder were the STOP SNITCHING mentality comes from criminals are not playing they will kill you!!!!!!

1. romaine says:

Get real, it does not matter if the snitch told the truth or the people will not report the real facts about the murders or crimes. . either way people, especially black people are being killed every single day. so if the thug want to kill they are going to keep on killing until the local and the united state government put an in in gang activities. they need to end the gang member ship just like the C. I. A. and the F.B. I. destroyed the black panthers organization.

The government could very easily wipe out those broke drug dealing pain in the ass dealers when they get ready. The major issue now is the ilegal guns that are being sold on the streets.

11. Sharon Staines Davis says:

This is truely a sad aticle this women and her child was killed for what reason ,just to go to court to testify against a thug so not worth it R.I.P. You will be truly missed my thoughts and prayers go out to your family

12. Kimberly Blackwell says:

this has nothing to do w/race color creed or watever that lady n child were still one of gods children she thought she was doing the right thing by testifying which she was the person or people who killed them is just full of satan not racial happenings hey theres racism on both sides of the fence u have the blacks drug dealing and the whites keeping them in business IT AINT ABOUT RACE GOD LOVES ALL HIS CHILDREN!!!

13. anita says:

Those were the apts at the WELCOME INN were’t they???? STUPID COPS!!! Everyone knows that place…..those 2 people (mom and daughter were sitting ducks and the cops/system made it that way). That witness had no protection there. That whole area is (baynesville…or “THE OAKS” as its known by the citizens of Baltimore county, is a high crime area). Blame the police!

14. Jasmin says:

Some of the comments on this whole site are just disturbing to me. WJZ could post a story along the lines of “Unexpected rains helped put out fire at local city church, many lives were saved” and I can almost guarantee that someone will read the title alone and comment “city church fire??? these blacks….” or “some unless thug burned a church, leave all blacks in the city to……” It’s a shame that race has to be brought into EVERY single story that happens.

Now, with that being said, all i have to say about this story is: I pray for peace for this woman’s family. Someone just lost both their daughter and granddaughter. May they both RIP

1. Jasmin says:

*useless thug*

2. OpenMindedAndLoving says:

I couldn’t agree with your comment more. It is very disturbing that these people read a story and can be so ignorant.

15. jennifer says:

TO: openmindedandloving…when i read your comment and and asked why did it have to be about race…there wasnt! There was not 1 comment made about race UNTIL YOU MADE A COMMENT about race. Its a bad situation REGARDLESS of sex,race,religion, etc….so how about you get your facts together. Also, now that YOU mentioned race, its became a topic. thanks alot

1. OpenMindedAndLoving says:

This one was the one that made me mention race. And I was saying that race shouldn’t be an issue.

anne

you need to go back to school to learn the basic concept that explain why the black race is always the subject of being less and gain very little asset for the pass 600 hundred years. you are the topical example of being tired of your own ignorances.

When you see the news, sure there are many different races and general topics.
      but the crime rating being number 1 is been shown black on black crimes, murder, drugs, etc or the are committing more stupid crimes. yes blacks do hate each other.

As shown on the news report the mother and child were related where black people do live. don’t get mad at the truth .

June 28, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Reply | Report comment

1. kristen says:

your comment was posted at 204p…..clearly this one your referring to was posted at 402p. Are you a mind reader??? Did you know that was goin gto be posted?

16. JJ says:

Some lawyer will be suing the City of Baltimore for this one! PAY DAY HAS ARRIVED FOR SOMEBODY!

17. Diane says:

How can they relocate someone and not let that police department know what’s going on? Shouldn’t have had some kind of protection not to mention that an innocent child was also killed! Boggles the mind!

18. Bright says:

why everybody so up tight just pray for the family and thats all arguing is not solving anything damn idiots

1. Amanda says:

Bright…I agree wit u 100%…Their is a family out there that just lost 2 beautiful people from their family and most of all 2 people that didnt deserve this to happen to them…all for tryin to do the right thing or should i say help and they lose their lives. I dont even know them n I pray for their families n friends in the rough time.Wat has happened has happened n maybe people should have a lil respect for the family n friends that have lost their loved ones instead of stating ur opinions n throwing racial remarks out there. Y cant people just send out a prayer for the 2 innocent people that lost their lives n also to their family n friends.
      I have to say Bright…ur message was short but the most important one on here!!!
      U have to b one of the good people out there in this world!!!

19. Gregory Randolph says:

When someone kills a defenseless child or elderly person, I have a problem with that. Vigilante justice aginst these perpetrators is the only way to make our strees and society safe. It is proven that maryland’s justice system is wek along with a weak Governor.

20. cici says:

they didnt put my other comment up here. but what do my cousins death have to do wit race? seriously. if u dont have nothing positive to say than im asking you nicely to please keep your fckin mouth shut

21. Joe Jd Orla says:

And they wander why people do not want to say anything when they see something. I have been there, done that and with the way the police protect people now of days I would not say nothing about nothing.

22. chalkie says:

Cici I am truely sorry to hear about your cousin and her daughter being murdered. I am sorry that alot these people are posting comments that have nothing to do with the situation at hand. This had nothing to do with race or any other off the wall things that some of these people have posted. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. I hope they solve this crime in a hurry so that you and your family can get so type of closure and justice for your losses. This is just another tragic thing that should have been adverted if everyone involved did thier jobs correctly. I truely am sorry for your loss.

23. Donnetta says:

Alicia and Dariel stayed with me for a while and I’m also a friend of the family. I grew very attached to them both so when I got the call last night it took something from me. Words can’t express how I’m feeling at this moment. Lee lee and Dariel R.I.P I love you and you will be missed.

24. Donnetta says:

Alicia and Dariel stayed with me for a while and I grew very attached to them. Words can’t express how I’m feeling at this moment. When I got the phone call last night it took something from me. Lee lee and Dariel R.I.P I love you both

25. Rhonda Turner-Threatt says:

For all the people who left comments, it would be nice to just see comments like, my prayers go out to the family, RIP Leelee and Dirial. Our family has been struck with a great loss, can you people please offer your condolesence and prayers. To April I am with you in spirit, to the boys take care of your mom, to Denesha stay strong and remember god makes no mistakes. LeeLee was born on my birthday and I have lived in the south for the last 17 years so I have not had the pleasure of meeting her daughter but I love them just the same. Lean on the lord in your time of sorrow. We love you guys Rhonda Turner-Threatt Dallas, Texas

26. Diane King says:

Sounds like the Baltimore City Police have a lot of explaining to do.

27. 1uniquemonique says:

Where in the hell were the police? They should have had some plain clothes cops guarding the damn place!!! This is a very good example why people DON’T come forward and cooperate with the police.

28. Borntolive Livetodie says:

NONE OF YOU KNOW WHAT MY FAMILY IS GOING THROUGH RIGHT NOW TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO IS MAKING IGNORANT COMMENTS I HOPE ONE DAY YOU HAVE TO FEEL THIS SAME PAIN MY COUSIN HER DAUGHTER AND HER UNBORN CHILD WAS TAKEN AWAY FROM US IN A MURDER THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE BECAUSE WHITE PEOPLE GO THROUGH THE SAME THING ITS ABOUT OUR GOVERNOR AND MAYOR TRYING TO KEEP UP THIS CHARM CITY FACTOR AND NOT PUTTING TRUTH AND FACTS OUT THERE FOR PEOPLE TO SEE THEY WANT TO MAKE IT SEEM LIKE BALTIMORE IS SO SAFE AND YOU FOOLS DONT EVEN CHALLENGE WHERE YOUR TAXES IS GOING TO THIS IS ABOUT THEM PROTECTING THEIR PUPPETS SO THAT THE BLAME WONT FALL ON THEM WHO THE HECK IDEA WAS IT TO PUT THEM JUST ACROSS CITY LINES THAT WAS DUMB THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN PROTECTED BETTER NO MATTER WHAT THEIR RACE!!

29. To Avery Family says:

My name is Janet, my sister, Lois Vance Smyth, was found murdered in Leakin Park on May 29th. Exactly one month ago today. My heart is aching for your family right now. I know exactly how you are feeling. If you look at the comments that were made on the article about Lois, you will see they are very unnecessary & hurtful, just as these comments are. People speculating & coming to their own conclusions without knowing all the facts. Please try not to let them get to you. They’re comments from people who do not know or care about you or your family. Stay strong for each other, you have a very hard road ahead. My thoughts & prayers go out to you & yours. Rest in peace our little angels….

30. Charles says:

anne you need to go back to school yourself and learn of some the most inhumane crimes that whites have been committing aganist eachother for centuries, incest with your own children, conceiving and having children with your own biological father’s is still prevalent in today’s society, read the your stitistical history on the subject and be proud. and that’s just the tip of the iceberg, some of the most disgusting inhumane crimes has been committed by whites aganist it own family. Look it up and be very proud.

31. happy1 says:

You guys missed the obvious… Baltimore county knew this was a domestic but “leaked” the witness info. Distraction created for them… And you took the bait, hook, line and sinker.. Sad… Stop being media Sheep!!!!!

32. God's will says:

It’s not the police departments fault when you keep dancing with the devil. I hate this happened, but people put themselves in positions someimes that no one can protect them from.

33. ms says:

Race…one race human race.