BALTIMORE (WJZ)– Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley throws his support behind a candidate who’s barely old enough to drink.

Twenty-one-year-old DeVon Brown is running for city council in Baltimore’s 12th district. Governor O’Malley was in Little Italy to host a fundraiser for the young Democrat.

The governor says he’s confident Brown can do a lot of good in the community despite his age.

Comments (47)
  1. bmoregyrl says:

I don’t support omalley but the ideas of the old age people need to go and maybe someone young and wants to do right by the city this is what the city needs. I don’t live in the city, but I have in the past and I love the city I will not go there now because of the violence. So let’s see if the young man can start making good changes. The old ass people that are in power now are not doing anything better.

1. Steppin' Razor says:

B’moregyrl, one day you will look back at what you just said and shake your head. Argue it if you will (the hole gets deeper when you do), but there is so much you don’t know about the world. Here is one simple lesson: If you want people to take you seriously, start by keeping your speech clean. The minute you start swearing, people tune you out. LOL…. keep on growing little one.

2. Dinger says:

Democrats don’t ever make a difference. The city might have a chance if it ever has a two-party system again.

3. JQP says:

I am all for a young person trying to do something important with his life, something worthwhile. But just because you read books and understand theories doesn’t mean that you are ready to be a political leader. At age 21, you haven’t yet earned your lumps…do you know what that means? It means making mistakes on a small scale that teach you lessons you need for the big leagues because of you make those mistakes here, you can potentially ruin people’s lives. No, a 21 year old may be a smart kid, but he is still too young and inexperienced to realize that he doesn’t have enough experience to be trusted by the citizens….if you follow my meaning.

1. OL says:

Some of the older people who are, or were in office, made mistakes that ruined peoples’ lives. I just don’t agree that age has anything to do with this young man’s ability to make a positive difference in Baltimore City. If you keep trying to fit a puzzle piece into the puzzle, but it doesn’t fit, the smart thing to do would be to try a different puzzle piece, right? There are MANY politicians/business leaders who have made HUGE mistakes that affected numerous lives. I understand where you’re coming from, though.

1. JQP says:

That wasn’t my argument. With the intelligence that this young man clearly has, and the connections he is able to make, he has a better chance and making FEWER detrimental mistakes once he has some experience under his belt. Age alone is not the issue. Age, education, IQ, ability to read people, ability to argue with experience…these are all part of the equation. But most of it comes out of experiences…history, trust…you cannot be an effective politician without gaining the trust of the people you represent, and frankly if you trust a 21 year old kid with your health and well-being without having a proven record, then you are irresponsible. Sorry, I don’t just jump on the bandwagon like that. It’s foolish.

4. Dave McCall says:

would it be that the young man in question is a relative of our own do nothing know nothing lt.governor