TOWSON, Md. (WJZ) –It was a scandalous hate crime caught on camera that grabbed national headlines. Now one of the two young women accused of beating a transgender woman at a McDonald’s learns her punishment.

Derek Valcourt has details on the sentencing.

Teonna Brown was convicted of a hate crime and first-degree assault. She will spend five years in prison.

Over and over again, two teenage girls attack and beat Chrissy Polis inside a Baltimore County McDonald’s until she goes into a seizure — all while a laughing McDonald’s employee records the vicious attack on his cell phone.

The YouTube video sparked community outrage and landed Brown, 19, and her 14-year-old accomplice in jail.  Brown is now sentenced to five years in prison.

Polis, who is transgender, chose not to appear in court for the sentencing. But her hero Vicki Thoms was.

“I just wanted to make sure that justice was served,” Thoms said.

She can be seen in the video trying to stop the attack on Polis. She ending up punched in the eye herself.

“I thought she was going to die,” Thoms said.

In court, Brown tearfully offered remorse saying “I’m sorry.  My mother did not raise me like this. I would really like to apologize to the victim, Miss Chrissy Polis.”

But that apology was not accepted, according to a letter Polis wrote to the judge.

“I felt like I was going to die that day,” the letter reads. “I continue to suffer seizures, bouts of crying, mental anguish and anxiety. I fear being alone. I have flashbacks about the attacks. I do not forgive them for what they did to me. ”

Prosecutors say hate was clearly the motivation for the attack.

“I don’t really care who the victim is,” said Scott Shellenberger, Baltimore County State’s Attorney. “This wasn’t about a political statement. This was about prosecuting people for a heinous crime that they committed.”

“I just wish that there was more love in this world than hate,” Thoms said. “That’s what I keep saying every time you guys talk to me, and that’s what I hope she learns out of this whole thing, and everybody learns the same thing.”

The criminal case is over, but the civil case is just beginning. Polis is pursuing a claim against McDonald’s for failing to stop the beating and because it was its employee who video taped the incident while laughing about it. So far a settlement has not been reached.

The other suspect in the case already made an admission to the beating and remains locked up in juvenile detention.

Comments (440)
  1. LLinLa says:

Standing ovation to the court & the prosecutor for handing out a just verdict and sentence.

2. tankette says:

Just shows the viral hatred that exists among many in the black community. It also shows how lame and timid the media is about covering these events…to include those “flash mobs” that result in crimes and attacks on white people.

3. popeye420 says:

This was a shameful incident. You know I find it rather ironic and somewhat funny that the NAACP or the ACLU haven’t been involved. Not that race or gender should ever play an issue but if the victim was a black woman and the attacker were white the NAACP and the ACLU would be all over the situation giving speeches left and right. It’s a shame that it was merely an elderly woman who tried to stop the beating while the employees and other onlookers just watched and in some cases simply enjoyed the show. I might point out that the McDonald’s employees where also minorities. Racism in any regard is shameful but what is more shameful that if the victim was of another race and the attackers like wise, the issue would have been all over the news world wide.

4. Aguagurl says:

Yo:

I knows the girl S’Donna did what she did. What that boy doin in the girls bathroom anyhey? She not no girl. Peekin through the hole maybe. Five years for a fight, she out in three or less. Baltimore County Judge is good man. Give a sista some leg room.

Aguagurl in and out

5. Hojo says:

How hard is it to understand that men go into the men’s room and women go into the ladies room? There are social laws that are pretty much the same in every country. Some people don’t get it, if you were born with male anatomy go into a mens room, if you were born with female anatomy go into the ladie’s room. End of story, avoid another beatdown by going into the appropriate restroom dressed appropriatly.

6. cbinflux says:

She’ll be out in less than two years

7. cbinflux says:

Eight ever-shorter generations of welfare has wrought feral teens roaming our major cities.

8. Truthsayer Drug says:

The real issue is that blacks will never become “little Englishmen and assimilate. For 400 years they have had that and they still are as ignorant and have a lesser I.Q. than their Cousins in Africa. They need to be returned to da mudderland so they are not inflicted with evil White Man’s law which they can not live under or understand. They have their own language, culture and Church which tells them that it’s all Whities fault. They rape 37,000 Whites a year while the number of negros raped by Whites is zero. Further, we lower our standard of education and house negroids in “Special Ed” because they are incapable. Lastly, Whites have let themselves be convinced that it is racist merely to object to dispossession, much less to work for their own interests. Never before has a people been fooled into thinking that there was virtue or nobility in surrendering its heritage, and giving away to others its place in history, only whites have been tricked into thinking that love for their own people is somehow “hatred” of others. It’s sick

9. MikeHenrySC says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. James Clifford says:

The “perps” got at least what they deserved – I only wish they would actually serve the sentence, which of course they won’t. Prisons should be reserved for our “violent” criminals – to spare taxpayers from funding the room and board of the others that pose little risk to others who aren’t gullible. OK, I agree that the likes of a Bernie Madof have done SERIOUS damage to peoples’ lives and deserve incarceration or worse, BUT dope users??

11. beelzebubba says:

This ghetto girls momma must be so proud.

1. beelzebubba says:

Probably her momma is outraged that “this is all racist and no doubt ghetto girls jailed for assault are disproportionaltely black because the po-po prefer to arrest blacks”. I would only like to point out: Dat’s right. Ghetto girl isn’t responsible. Society made her what she is (not her momma) and ought to look the other way. Black culture in this country is really, really sick … and getting worse.

12. Goldy says:

I have no patience with intolerant people

13. Bernard Mc Kernan says:

The crowd that video taped & cheered along in the restaurant including the manager & workers should have gotten jail sentences as well for being co-conspirators & accessories.

14. Bobby Walker says:

Awesome!! Justice served!! No human should experience what this person experienced. That was all out cruelty to the extent of being inhuman.

I hope these girls experience the same pain while sitting in prison for what they have done.

This was absolutely the low of low…

15. sheriff says:

Teona be one big bad black Mo-Fo. When she farts that cell will shake.

16. j says:

Corrupt DEA where stealing drugs from evidence vaults and reselling them to cover extensive credit card debt.

They also are creating suspects by planting evidence just so that they can steal from them.

Given the choice of suspension or dealing with their debt most DEA are thinking outside the box.

Corrupt DEA and FBI use gang members to commit crimes for them.

17. MzB says:

5 years is a slap on the wrist. This is not justice! She will be out in 2.5 years or less if she behaves!