BALTIMORE (WJZ)—The wait is over for a Baltimore family who wanted to know who killed their 70-year-old father. Police have a suspect behind bars.

Gigi Barnett has more.

For months, Tracey Hill waited for a phone call from Baltimore detectives, telling her that a suspect was behind bars for killing her 70-year-old father, Milton Hill, last year.

The months drifted into a year. But Thursday morning, the call came.

“I’m just still in a state of shock to know that they did find somebody,” Tracey Hill said.

The suspect is 18-year-old James Johnson.

Police say Johnson’s motive for shooting Hill several times in August last year was robbery. The teen allegedly wanted Hill’s green scooter.

It happened in an alley behind the Ark Church on North Avenue in East Baltimore. Hill had worked there as a handyman for the congregation.

The question why still haunts the family.

“To leave him out on the street like that…is a senseless murder,” Tracey Hill said.

Last summer, hundreds gathered to remember Hill. Police say they relied heavily on tips from witnesses.

“There was certainly some community intelligence involved in this,” said Det. Jeremy Silbert, Baltimore Police Department spokesman. “This was members of the community working with detectives.”

Hill’s daughter says the arrest brings some closure, but there’s still a trial to attend.

“I don’t have any anger,”  she said. “I don’t want him to get the death penalty. I just want him to serve his time and get maybe life.”

Johnson is behind bars at Central Booking.

Comments (55)
  1. theRiley says:

Such an angelic looking little bugger. He has the soul of the devil & the brains of a Chimp OBama.

1. TheRiley says:

You’re really stealing my name? Really? Get a life. Besides, everyone knows that I, the real TheRiley, would never say anything like that.

1. theRiley says:

the riley, Don’t flatter yourself. Nobody knows you except your sorry ass Mother & your parole officer along with your bunk buddy late at night.

2. TheRiley says:

I’m sorry. Parole Officer isn’t in my daily vocabulary. Probably because I’ve never had one. Unlike you, faker, I abide by the law.
        Don’t go there with mother jokes. I promise I will own you.
        You talk really big, but i’m sure you’re just another scrawny little prick who likes to pick fights over the internet, playing World of Warcraft on a daily basis.
        Grow up.

2. Kim says:

I hope this kid is in for a hard, tough lesson then, maybe in 15 years or so, a chance at rehabilitation.

3. amanda says:

Too bad he just looks burnt…I say fry him for real. 🙂

4. cms827 says:

Seriously rehabilitation, you should know by reading about the repeated offenders their is no rehabilitaion for someone who can kill another human being, He is an animal and when his grandmamma gets on TV and cries he was such a good boy,,,,,,give me a break they should put a cage around West Baltimore and give them all guns and call it a day!!!

5. HA HA HA says:

shorter Seems that you have a little kill er in you

6. antoinette shorter says:

No, not at all. Just a tad bit tired of THAT particular persons rhetoric and gave him back what he “spews” all day every day….my point is that I kept my comment on HIM while HE chooses to lump a whole society of people in a box and THAT I HAVE ISSUE WITH. HA HA HA

7. Lil D says:

Please people stop pointing out the arce of the offender. Can’t you see peole are tired of constantly being reminded that blacks are doing most of the violent crimes. Stop sounding like a broken record anf just talk about the case at hand. Everyone already knows the race connection, dtop dtop beating it in to the ground. Yeah he’s black yeah he killed another black but remember white people are racist and want us to kill ourselves. We can’t please white no matter what.

1. moleman says:

Have you ever seen a more stupid looking black?

2. RDNKKKGRL says:

it aint about pleasing white people were stickin to the case and someone pointed out he was black we aint racist we aint the ones who got a holiday named after us we aint the ones living in baltimore city acting like a bunch of porch monkeys on crack and if u wanna kill yourself hey watever floats your boatgo ahead and do it i promise it wont bother us a bit just dont use a gun our guns are getting picked on enough

8. Lil D says:

race of the offender

9. Over it says:

This man was killed for no reason and this foolishiness has to stop! I’m soo sick of hearing stories like this on the news.Communities need to step up! You wonder why crime is higher in some neighborhoods and not others,the answer is because the homeowners/renters don’t tolerate this B.S.Stop letting these petty thugs and drug dealers rule your neighborhoods.

10. moleman says:

They are all loud foul mouthed black animals. Animals travel in a pack just like the tar babies.

11. H. says:

HEY MOLEFACE SOUNDS LIKE YOUR WIFE LEFT YOU FOR A BLACK MAN . HAHAHAHA BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME .

12. whitest guy in md says:

Evil looking man – he and his family are what’s wrong with Baltimore, the family will no doubt claim his innocence, despite his evil murderous look they’ll no doubt claim how sweet he is. I hope they kill him…that would be sweet. In fact they need to eliminate the entire gene pool.