FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (WJZ) — The Ravens’ season came down to the final seconds, a chance to shock the heavily-favored Patriots. But Baltimore’s Super Bowl dreams were dashed with a missed kick.

Derek Valcourt has reaction from a dejected fanbase.

Excitement was at a fever pitch even before the kickoff. Fans were decked out in purple, some even sporting Joe Flacco’s new signature mustache.

“We won last week, and I was like, `Honey, I gotta cut it down,'” said one fan.

And as the game got underway, cautious optimism set in.

“Any time we hurt Brady is a good moment. I want to hurt Brady,” said a fan.

“I’m very cup half-full. We’re going to win,” said another fan.

“The defense is looking great. The offense has come alive. We got it,” said a fan.

A touchdown in the second quarter and the cheers could be heard throughout Baltimore.

“I’m going crazy. I absolutely didn’t think this was going to happen but the Ravens keep pushing it. We’re going to take this game down. We are going to win this game,” said a fan.

Ravens fans held on to that hope right up until the end when a field goal kick became a hold your breath moment. It ended with a colossal groan of disappointment. Super Bowl dreams were dashed. Fans left with actual tears and frustrations aimed at kicker Billy Cundiff.

“I have no words. I mean, Billy’s been doing this all season. I mean, 32 yards, man! You gotta make it,” said a fan.

“Flacco did his job. Defense did its job. Cundiff didn’t do his job. Oh well,” said a fan.

“Disappointing. Cundiff needs to go,” said a fan.

“Definitely a heartbreaker. I mean, that’s a 20-yard field goal! You gotta make that,” said a fan.

“It happens. Good season. Nothing more you can do,” said a fan.

“Looking forward to next season. I love my Ravens. I bleed purple no matter what! Go Ravens!” said a fan.

The Ravens are now 1-2 in AFC title games.

Comments (25)
  1. jay says:

Looks like the PATRIOTS PLUCKED the Ravens feathers. The Ravens are good, but not good enough.

2. bob1961 says:

Despite the Ravens losing.I think a lot of those Flacco naysayers know who will be our QB for the future.Joe Flacco proved that he can play with the big boys in key situations.This is one of the best perfomances by Joe and those naysayers cannot blane him for this loss.

1. nitaloco says:

Agreed bob1961! He did his job and did it well. The game was nowhere near the blowout that so many predicted. That game ( a lot of it because of Flacco, the Rays and several others) could have been won and the Patriots know it. I don’t see us repeating the same mistakes again…there will be redemption for the Ravens and a great future for Joe Flacco!

3. jay says:

Joe Flacco is the future for Quarterbacks in the NFL. He’s a great player who should be playing for Super Bowl caliber teams like the Patriots and not the Ravens. The Baltimore Ravens… always the Bridesmaid and never the bride. It looks like the people of Baltimore went from Purple Passion to black and blue marks. Better luck next year… then again, we say that about the Orioles and it gets them nowhere also.

4. tomtom says:

the game was lost in the end zone because the hot shot receiver let the dback knock the ball out of his grasp. he should have made that catch, right in his gut he should have held it tight in both arms. poor execution on his part.

1. john s says:

Exactly, and unfortunately people will blame the missed fieldgoal.

2. nitaloco says:

you’re right tomtom…while Billy should have made that field goal and truly I’ve never been so shocked or disappointed the game could have been won way before…we should have won. There is more blame to go around than just that aimed at Billy Cundiff. It sure put a hurt on me and I don’t normally get this emotional over a football game, but ouch! Now I could care less to even watch the Superbowl since two teams I despise are in it. I’ll be watching for commercials 🙂 We’ll get there again Baltimore…and next time the result will be far different!

5. Tim says:

For Ravens fans in New England the next 6 months are going to be painful. In the words of the Donald… Cundiff You’re Fired. Sorry you can not miss that in the biggest game of the year at that point.

6. Proud PSL Owner says:

OH boy, I still wouldn’t give my PSLs or Season tickets away, All together this was still an AWSOME Season! Thanks for the Memories of the 2011 Season. See you in Aug. at M&T Bank Stadium.

Oh yea, lets see the Steeler fans get on here and put their 2 cents in! All I can say to you all is Baltimore Ravens 2011 AFC North Champs!!!!

1. nitaloco says:

it really WAS a good game Proud…everyone thought Baltimore was going to get whomped on and we not only held our own but came super close! I can’t see us letting that happen a second time…see you next season!

7. Dave says:

Bring back Matt Stover!

1. nitaloco says:

My favorite Raven ever Dave!! 🙂 Miss him…missed him a LOT last night but to be honest…this wasn’t just Billy’s fault.

8. crazy! says:

Please cut Billy Cundiff. The Steelers sure could use him. While you’re at it, cut Ray Rice too.

9. rad says:

ha ha no sb for any afc north div team,-steelers, bengals-ravens, all bite the dust!

10. MIKE O says:

SEE PRESS CONFRENCE AFTER GAME, YOU COULD TELL JOE FLACCO WAS SO RELIEVED THEY COULDNT BLAME THE LOSS ON HIM !!! HE COULDNT WAIT TO START TALKING LOL HES NOT A SUPER BOWL QB SORRY BALTIMORE !!

1. whatnow says:

Neither were Joe Thiesman, Doug Williams or Mark Rypien, but the Joe Gibbs Redskins won Super Bowls with them. It is still a team sport!

11. davids eberhardt says:

A Ravens Tribute:

Home field advantage, all you can say;
    We could have had em on another day.

Joe Flacco Fu man in the slot,
    Rapier like, we almost reach the dock!

And let there be no making Cundiff the goat,
    As we near the pier-fall off our boat.

No squirrel ran on the field- no shame
    Will mar our Ravens’ thrilling game.

A raven’s not a crow- our deep throated “cough”
    Resounded Poe like at Foxbo (ro), should I say “rough”?

A stillness fell upon the bars- Fells Point-
    And yet, we band together to annoint

Our team in glory- there is no shame-
    Of Baltimore, be said, “This town’s “got game”.

lines left out sose i don’t b negative:

Give Princess Brady an umbrella so he won’t muss
    His goldilocks- the guy’s a wuss!

david eberhardt

12. Kim says:

Ravens have loss seven times to the Pats and won one. Be thankful Brady had a bad day. Stop making excuses and saying we should have WON. Did you read the scoreboard? You have to make the big plays and the Ravens did not.

13. Dave says:

People,are,soo stupid. yea it was a tough loss, but we can hold our heads high. Giants will cruise to a easy SB win.

1. Michele says:

The Pats win was just the first of scores for them to settle this year. The next comes on Feb 5th when they beat the Giants. GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!

14. Michael Spencer says:

I used to think Washington Redskins had the best fans in football, but I stand corrected. Baltimore Ravens have the BEST FANS in the world. The team gave us an exiting season and this was just a practice run. Wait till next year!!!!!!
    GO GO RAVENS !!!

15. jeff lutz says:

it was the coaches fault for rushing in billy when time was runnin out,didnt call TIME OUT—they and the score board said 3 rd down when actually it was 4th–blame the score keeper,pats cheated,conspiracy——bottom line time should have been called to clear everything up or better,to have billy time to set up—im a raven fan in fla and its next year folks—————

16. mofo says:

The coon should have caught the pass in the end zone period!! Cundiff making the field goal would only have tied it , not win it so STFU a-holes. Ravens kiced the Patriots ass all day except on the scoreboard. Come back next year stronger.

17. Superbowl says:

Generally I do not learn article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice post.

18. Windsor says:

I get pleasure from, result in I found just what I was looking for. You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye