ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — The General Assembly passed it, the governor is expected to sign it, but will Marylanders vote on it?

Pat Warren has more on a possible referendum on same-sex marriage in Maryland.

Cardinal Edwin O’Brien denounces same-sex marriage and announces the Archdiocese will engage its 500,000 members in overturning this radical legislation.

Other churches will join the fray.

On the other side, Marylanders for Marriage Equality supporting same-sex marriage will ramp up their media blitz. After years of targeting state lawmakers, same-sex marriage advocates and supporters of traditional marriage take the fight to the people.

And it appears the people are ready to vote, and speak out.

“I think everybody should have an input,” one Marylander said.

“At least they feel they’ve done their part, and we don’t feel like everything’s in the government’s hands,” Paul Harrington, Jr. said.

“I think that we should have a say. I think we’re entitled to a say.”

“I think everybody should have a vote on it.”

“It doesn’t seem like a lot of times that the officials are doing what we– what the people– actually want. Just so the decision’s coming from the people and not the bureaucrats.”

Warren: “Would you sign a petition to put it on the ballot?”
Marylander: “Yeah.”

And there are those who believe voters should not sit in judgment.

“Nobody should judge anybody, period. Because who are you to say what someone else should do? It’s not right,” Tom Clonts said.

And that’s the message same-sex marriage advocates will be sending during the petition drive.

Gov. Martin O’Malley is expected to sign the bill legalizing same-sex marriage into law sometime next week.

Comments (51)
  1. Thank you! says:

you guys are blind… Stay with your church and do as your church says, but don’t make that choice for others with different views

2. Jayson says:

WJZ-TV suppresses free speech. Only allows liberals free hand!

3. chuck says:

Sodomy is now legal in Maryland !

4. MD Resident says:

GROSS, GROSS, GROSS, TOTALLY SICKING! There is no place like maryland! Get ready to see thoes gross rainbow flags all over maryland!

5. Working Poor says:

If marriage is the domain of religions only, then all married couples need to file separately outside of their churches for a civil union license in order to receive marriage benefits FROM THE GOVERNMENT. Otherwise that would be the government partaking in religion.

Last time I checked though, a Justice of the Peace can perform a marriage just as easily as any Catholic Priest. I say leave the religion out of politics like the Constitution said. How unpatriotic can people get.

6. damon says:

now now now look at what i see here everyone is against this welll this is a suprise i mean people decided that they wanted to take god out of schools and they turn their back on god but when they dont like something like as same sex marriage everyone is ready to jump on gods ban wagon and say on marriage is one man one women so please answer my question. why did you take god out of schools if you want him to be their to help stop same sex marriage in maryland? please comment

1. D King says:

OK, I’ll bite. Because not everyone believes in God and for those that do, not everyone believes in the same God. You’ve got a mix of children in school being raised by all kinds of different families with different belief systems. How can you pick just one religious viewpoint for schools? Let me guess, you think the Christian viewpoint is the one that belongs in schools. Well school is not church. School is for English, science, math, etc. — not religion. Go to church if you want to worship God! And by the way, I’m FOR the same sex marriage bill (and I am straight).

7. Lou says:

Will sign any petition that asks for this to be put before the people. SInce our representatives are not listening to us we need the referendum. Show me where to sign up. I’ll be glad to sign the petition!!! Put it to the whole nation and lets settle this thing once and for all and then get back to what really matters.

8. H8NSBAD says:

Maryland has marriage reciprocity. If a same sex couple is legally married in another state they are already recognized as married in Maryland. This has been the case for up to possibly ten years now. This has not affected anyone elses marriages, and I know of no church or religious institution that has been asked to, forced to, or sued in court to recognize an out of state same sex marriage here in Maryland. The only ones honestly affected have been the same sex couples who got married out of state or abroad and returned home. Most people don’t even realize same sex marriage already exists here by default. The change is that this bill will allow Maryland to perform same sex Civil Marriages right here in our own state. That would be the ONLY change. If it is voted down in November same sex marriage will not go away. The law would simply revert to the way it is today. Referendums don’t create new laws- they only invalidate newly passed ones. Seems like a big waste of money and time on all sides to take this to the ballot and stop same sex marriages from happening here if the same sex couples will merely go out of state after the vote to be married.

9. chetta-ketta says:

How about we move on WJZ? Drop this old news & let these fudge packers & Lezbo’s have at it themselves. I for one am tired of all the B.S. .rhetoric.

10. baltimorechris says:

Straight married and a minister…… we really have more pressing issues to deal with. Run a grammer checker on my post that should show we need to educate better. If you are against this really think about how this will affect you, likely it won’t. As a minister it’s up to me to decide if i want to marry a couple, sure they could go somewhere else or to a courthouse. I am sad that people have to even have this conversation.. On the upside think of the jobs that will be created!! I will marry same sex partners for free as soon as I legally can!!

1. Afro-American for Marriage Equality says:

Wow. Thank you.

11. חתונה says:

Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I’ve really loved surfing around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing in your rss feed and I am hoping you write again soon!