By Mike Hellgren

BALTIMORE (WJZ)– Handcuffed and arrested at school. It happened to four Baltimore elementary school children.

Mike Hellgren speaks to the outraged parents of one of the little girls as police defend their actions.

Hellgren: “What did you do when you saw your grandbaby after all of this?”
Michael Vogel: “I hugged her. I actually hugged her. This is strange. They’re little kids.”

Vogel broke down when talking about the arrest of his granddaughter– one of four children Baltimore City police put into handcuffs at Morrell Park Elementary School. Three 9-year-old girls and an 8-year-old little boy were arrested.

“They were in a holding cell with a 14- or 15-year-old boy, and everytime he had to urinate, they had to turn their heads,” Vogel said.

“There was a message on my answering machine. It was the principal of the school and said, ‘I’m sorry Ms. Hammonds about the way things went down yesterday. I wasn’t here. I was at another school conference. And the police did not go by regulations,'” Loretta Hammonds, the mother of one of the arrested students, said.

But police defended their policy and say the children were charged in connection with a violent fight outside the school that happened last week where one of the young victims was forced onto railroad tracks.

“It’s our policy, regardless of the age, when a suspect is arrested by police, they’re handcuffed. And the reason is just not for the suspect’s safety but also for officers’ safety,” Det. Jeremy Silbert of the Baltimore City Police Department said.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) says the arrests violate state regulations, calling them appalling.

“We’re living in a city where we’re routinely criminalizing young children,” Sonia Kumar, an attorney with the ACLU, said.

“I said, ‘My God, they’re children! They’re babies!’ I said, ‘Were they crying?’ She said, ‘The little boy was crying.’ I said, ‘Why didn’t you call me?’ She said, ‘We had orders from the police not to call the parents. They said they were going to call,'” Vogel said.

“To hear my child’s been arrested for 12 hours, it killed me,” Hammonds said.

The ACLU tells WJZ they believe the arrests should have happened at the children’s homes and not at school.

The children are charged as juveniles.

Comments (80)
  1. dave says:

White Black, who cares. That area of B-more sucks & is low class ignorant. Those people all watch late night tv when the ambulance chasers come on & advertise something for nothing. This is their chance just like their coon cuz’s to hit the lottery.

1. Taylor says:

Do you live in Baltimore? Because if you don’t, you don’t really know what it’s like. That right there is being stereotypical and if you don’t live in Baltimore, you’re just going off of what everyone else thinks. Morrell Park is just about the best neighborhood in Baltimore.

2. Taylor says:

Do you live in Baltimore? If you don’t then you really don’t know the story. That right there is being stereotypical and you’re just going by whatever everyone else THINKS. So before you start insulting someone you don’t even know, check your facts.

2. lynn says:

sickening ,just sickening ,these kids have been hung out to dry on some aleeged allegations of violence .needless to say the law is innocent until proven guilty ,if these kids were from bum duck egypt would it make a difference .their rights were violated and this show in the end ,and if the police handcuffed them because they feared them that is pitiful ,if they are scared of 10 yr olds ,my god help us ,they are here to protect and serve .kinda scary !!!

3. big dave says:

and the problem is??? if this was a group of whites how many of these posters would be screaming bloody murder?? we know it is because they are black, don’t arrest blacks because they have always gotten a bad deal right, I say if they did a crime do the time and all that comes with it, skin color should have no basis in the law whats good for one is good for all

1. lynn says:

the problem is Dave,you don t have the slightest ideal of what s going on here ,your trying to throw the race card here ,that s what is wrong with society today ,does nt matter if someone violates your rights ,only time it makes a difference is what color is your skin ,ask yourself what this world is coming to with the ignorance we endure every day from people like DAVE!!!!!

1. big dave says:

that right if it is a nig then I will say it beatch KKK forever

4. urnotfunny says:

I could care less what color they are, they’re hoodlums, they needed to be dealt with. Color has nothing to do with what they did.

1. lynn says:

and again !!!!they are accused of a crime ,they have nt even been to court yet .if i call you a pediphile does that mean you are one .please listen to yourself calling children hoodlums who haven t been foung guilty of anything ..you have children who make accusations all the time and then get scared and recant their stories .give them the decency of a fair trial before you convict them .and people ask all the time what s wrong with our justice system ,people who think like you ,that s whats wrong with it

5. Mike says:

I don’t know what’s worse? The story or the comments? It seems most of the comenters are pro police state. So it’s OK for the police and the schools to ignore the law and eight year old girls are now seen as dangerous thugs. Have fun licking the hand that feeds once the police state has finally stripped you of the last of your liberty. You deserve it. You’ve already relinquished them your intelligence and common sense. Enjoy being a slave! I’m out!

6. ecko says:

they got what they deserved thats it

7. ecko says:

the cops where black the children where white this is racist

8. Kat says:

They deserved to be arrested, regardless of age. You act like a criminsl, get treated like a criminal.