BALTIMORE (WJZ)– It’s been a tough case for detectives to crack. Police are now reaching out for the public’s help as they try to find the gunman who killed one man and wounded another.

Mike Schuh has more on the crime, the investigation and the impact it is having on the victim’s tight-knit family.

Though Cherry Hill is a notoriously violent neighborhood, this was the first murder there this year. And it’s still unsolved.

The pain is still too fresh for Anna Cureton. Her 28-year-old son Anthony Cureton was murdered on Aug. 6 right in front of her Cherry Hill home.

The killer is still at large, and police are still hunting for leads.

“When the four-door vehicle drove into the block, a gunman got out of the car and basically opened fire without warning,” Det. Donny Moses of the Baltimore Police Department said.

Neighbors say the killer fired too many shots to count. Bullet holes can be seen in the trees and in the hoods of at least one nearby car.

Family members say Anthony Cureton was struck in the head while racing to protect his 8-year-old son who was also in the line of fire.

“It’s not something that my brother provoked,” Antoine Cureton, Anthony Cureton’s brother, said.

Antoine Cureton calls his brother his best friend.

He and the rest of his heartbroken family can only guess that the shooting might have been random since Anthony Cureton worked as an electrician and spent all his free time with his three young children.

He didn’t even live at the house where he was killed. He was just visiting his mother.

“We never hung with anyone who was into trouble or anything like that,” Antoine Cureton said. “So what I’m honestly telling you is, there was nothing that we or any of us could have been involved in that would have made something like that occur.”

“It’s very hard to get up each day and continue life each day like it’s normal, when it’s not,” Chrystal Wesby, Anthony Cureton’s aunt, said.

Wesby calls the gunman a coward.

She’s begging anyone with information on the shooting to come forward.

“Please, this cannot go on unsolved. We need to know for our own sanity and for us to be able to move on, to move forward because it’s really hard right now,” Wesby said. “It really, really is. He was a man who did not deserve what he got.”

There is a police surveillance camera less than 100 feet away from the crime scene. Family members are frustrated that the camera did not provide detectives with any useful information to catch the killer.

Anyone with information on the shooting is urged to call city police. You can remain anonymous and even earn some reward money by calling Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7-LOCKUP.