DUNDALK, Md. (WJZ) — A fast-moving fire in Dundalk leaves a family of six homeless.
As Mike Schuh reports, a quick-thinking neighbor may have saved lives.READ MORE: Baltimore Man Pleads Guilty In Arson Case That Targeted Ex-Girlfriend
A horn was blown when firefighters had to evacuate a burning home. The sound confirmed what bystanders feared: the fire in Dundalk was dangerous, big and getting worse.
“There was a call for a may-day, but it was a mistake. The firefighter was just in the rear of the building. Nobody knew where he was. The found him, so everyone was OK,” said Lt. Paul Massarelli, Baltimore County Fire Department.
When the fire started, two kids — 13 and nine — were alone watching TV.
Luckily, Ed Hurley was out walking his dog.
“Two kids came running out and they said, ‘Fire!’ I went running around real quick, and they wanted to go back in and get the cat and I said, ‘No,'” Hurley said.
Judging by how quickly smoke turned to fire, Hurley may have saved their lives.
“Not even five minutes — it was quick — it exploded,” said Hurley.READ MORE: Maryland Weather: Severe Storm Threatens Part Of Maryland And An Alert Day Saturday
A person who lives at the house says she believes the fire started in a clothes dryer.
The fire department has yet to weigh in on a cause, but the house is gutted.
Children’s toys lay ruined, and this is a tough time of year to lose what you have.
That’s why Denise Eberwein is dropping off what she can.
“Just so much has been happening, I just felt the need to do it,” she said.
Unable to return, the family of six is now living with relatives around the corner.
Hurley and his wife are collecting donations.
“You’d do the same thing if you were walking by,” he said.MORE NEWS: Maryland Law Expanding Who Can Perform Abortion Takes Effect