BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Controversial decision. The State’s Attorney announces no charges will be filed against three city police officers involved in the death of a man they were arresting.

Now the feds are looking into the case.

READ MORE: Maryland Weather: Light Snow Possible Across Region Wednesday Morning

Meghan McCorkell spoke with the  victim’s family.

Anthony Anderson’s family says they are outraged with the decision not to prosecute the officers. Now they plan to file a civil suit against the police department.

As they continue to grieve, family members of Anthony Anderson Sr. are in shock three officers involved in his death will not face charges.

“I saw them kick him. I saw them throw him to the ground. And that’s what happened,” says the victim’s sister Shayner Anderson.

Police confronted Anderson near Montford and Biddle Streets in East Baltimore on Sept. 21, after they suspected he was involved in a drug deal. Officers say Anderson refused to follow orders.

The State’s Attorney says one of the officers bear-hugged Anderson and took him to the ground, after he allegedly saw Anderson take drugs out of his pocket and put them in his mouth.

Shortly after, Anderson lost consciousness. He died at the hospital from blunt force injuries, including a ruptured spleen and eight fractured ribs. The medical examiner ruled his death a homicide.

READ MORE: Clarksburg Waitress Having Seizure Saved By Off-Duty Montgomery County Officer

“Those broken ribs occurred from the fall, from the force of the blunt trauma,” State’s Attorney Gregg Bernstein said.

But family members who were there contend the officers brutally kicked Anderson.

“We’re supposed to trust them. They’re supposed to protect us. We’re not supposed to run from them and be scared,” Anderson said.

The State’s Attorney says while Anderson’s death is tragic the officers did not use excessive force.

“The evidence does not establish any violation of the criminal laws in our judgment, based on our investigation,” Bernstein said.

The family vows to continue their fight.

The officers remain suspended with pay pending an internal investigation. The U.S. Department of Justice has also launched its own investigation.

The Anderson family is planning another rally this weekend at the spot where the confrontation happened.

MORE NEWS: Maryland Board Of Education Sets Benchmarks To Lift Schools Mask Mandates

To read the full report click here.