BALTIMORE (WJZ)—Two police officers are recovering after an oncoming vehicle hits their patrol car along I-95 near Caton Avenue.

Christie Ileto has been following Thursday morning’s accident.

Both officers were released from the hospital Thursday, but the aftermath of the accident made for a nightmarish commute for drivers headed south on I-95.

Bumper-to-bumper traffic crept south on 95 at Caton Avenue on Thursday morning.

Car parts, broken glass and a ravaged police cruiser lined the shoulder shortly before 4 a.m.

Two Maryland Transportation Authority officers were injured while conducting a traffic stop.

“A vehicle came down 95, struck the rear of our patrol car,” said 1st Sgt. Kevin Ayd, police spokesman.

Officer Terry Breechen, 31, was outside of the vehicle at the time of the collision and was taken to Shock Trauma with minor injuries. He has since been released.

Officer Scott Fleming, 26, was in the driver’s seat and was taken to University Hospital with minor injuries and has since been released.

The driver of the Mercury Sable, a 33-year-old female, was taken to Shock Trauma with minor injuries and released.

“The men and women of the MDTA Police are extremely grateful that officers Breechen and Fleming are going home to their families today,” said MDTA Police Chief Colonel Michael T. Kundrat in a press release. “This morning’s crash underscores the immense responsibility that each and every one of us has when behind the wheel. Move Over when passing an emergency situation. If you’re unable to move over, Slow Down. It’s the law.”

The missing trunk of the cruiser gives a glimpse of the forcefulness of the impact.

For hours, commuters were caught in the gridlock.

While officers reconstruct the accident, police say it’s unclear why the driver plowed into the police unit, but they’re looking to see if distracted driving, drugs or alcohol may have been a factor.

Breechen, a Baltimore resident, is a four-year member of the MDTA Police.  Fleming, a Beltsville resident, is a two-year member of the MDTA Police.

By 8 a.m., police opened both right lanes on I-95 at Caton for commuters to head south.

No charges have been filed. The investigation is ongoing.


Leave a Reply