MORNINGSIDE, Md. (AP) — Officials at Joint Base Andrews near Washington say Defense Department budget cuts are prompting cancellation of a popular air show for the second consecutive year.

The base commander, Air Force Col. Bill Knight, said Thursday that the event was planned for May. He says no decisions have been made about future air shows.

READ MORE: Local DJ Brings Back Toy Drive After Hugely Successful Lockdown Dance Parties

Officials announced last year they were turning the free air show into a biennial event to save money. They say it costs about $2 million to produce the show.

READ MORE: University Of Maryland, Men's Basketball Coach Mark Turgeon Mutually Agree To Part Ways, School Says

The Air Force says about 200,000 people attended the last Andrews air show in 2012.

Knight says community outreach is important to the base. He says officials are looking at other types of outreach efforts.

MORE NEWS: Jury Watches Interrogation Video In Murder Trial For Keith Smith, Who Blamed Panhandler For Wife's Death

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)