BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Two people are in the hospital after a speeding driver sends another car flying onto a city sidewalk. It happened just as a nearby day care was letting out for the day.
Kai Jackson has more on the man in custody.
Police say the suspect was taken to the hospital in handcuffs after he endangered a number of lives.
Sky Eye Chopper 13 was over a chaotic crime scene at McElderry Street and Linwood Avenue in East Baltimore.
“The pickup that you see there was going at a very high rate of speed, and as they came through this intersection, slammed into that SUV,” Captain Jeff Long reported.
Police say officers in the air and on the ground were in pursuit of a stolen pickup truck around 5 p.m. Friday when it careened into another vehicle, flipping it onto its side.
“If anybody had been on that corner, they would have been killed,” Bishop James Adams said.
A church day care program was just letting out when it happened. The pastor, Bishop Adams, watched the truck go out of control.
“Eighty, ninety miles per hour. Riding on three wheels, sparks flying and everything,” he said.
The driver of the second vehicle was rushed to the hospital, as police quickly took the driver of the truck into custody.
“Clearly, he was going to kill somebody at the rate he was going. I’m glad they got him,” said Adams.
Both drivers suffered non-life threatening injuries in the crash.
Police tell WJZ a helicopter assisted ground patrol in the pursuit.
Other Local News:
- Wealthy Stock Trader Convicted In Man’s Death In Bunker Fire
- One Person Suffers Burn Injuries In Harford County Garage Fire
- One Juvenile Hospitalized Following Dog Attack In Pikesville
- Restaurant Servers Don’t Know Much About Food Allergies, Study Finds
- 2 Chinese Nationals Face Federal Indictment For Conspiracy To Traffick Counterfeit Ray Bans, Pandora Jewelry, Mail Fraud