BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Maryland trainer Richard “Dickie” Small passed away Friday after a battle with cancer.
Small trained Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Concern. Equibase says he had 1,199 wins throughout his career. He also trained Caesar’s Wish, Broad Brush and Tactile and Valley Crossing.
“Dickie was the consummate horsemen,” said Maryland Jockey Club stakes coordinator Coley Blind, a friend of Small for more than 40 years. “Horses came first. He put everything into the horses. He knew everything about his horse right down to the pimples. He was a good man and very easy to deal with from the racing office perspective.”
Small was 68.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Other Local News:
- Bowie Mom Charged With Vehicular Manslaughter In Crash That Killed 5 Kids, Had 2X Legal BAC Limit
- 15-Year-Old Parkville Teen Missing, May Be In Emotional Crisis, Police Say
- Approx. 100 Gallons Of Diesel Oil Leaked From Railcar In Sunday CSX Train Derailment
- Police Searching For Baltimore Inmate After He Jumped Out Of Van During Transport
- Police Searching For Suspect In Woodlawn Shooting