PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) — A nationwide manhunt is over. The man wanted in the slaying of a three-year-old girl is now in police custody. Twenty-five-year-old Davon Wallace was captured Tuesday, weeks after he allegedly shot up a Prince George’s County home, killing three-year-old Knijah Bibb.

Rick Ritter has the details.

READ MORE: AAA Worker Killed While Helping Stranded Driver In Prince George's County

Wallace eluded police for weeks, leading them on a massive manhunt. Tuesday night, the 25-year-old is behind bars, charged with the killing of that three-year-old little girl.

From the FBI’s Most Wanted list to behind bars. After 38 days on the run, police captured Davon Wallace and charged him with the killing of three-year-old Knijah Bibb.

“Wallace’s reckless, cowardly actions took the life of an innocent baby girl,” said Prince George’s County Police Department Chief Mark McGaw.

A senseless slaying that rattled her family.

“It still doesn’t bring my daughter back and that’s all I really want,” said her mother, Shadon Bibb.

It also turned the community upside down.

“We all have children. I have three, so it rocked the neighborhood,” said Vinnia Narh.

On August 10, three-year-old Knijah was playing with her cousins along Forest Terrace in Landover when Davon Wallace showed up. Police say Wallace got into an argument with someone at the home over clothing. Shortly after, he left—but later returned, firing gunshots.

One of the many bullets went through an upstairs window, killing little Knijah.

READ MORE: Maryland Up To 9 Monkeypox Cases, Health Department Confirms

“It’s kind of hard but I feel some closure,” said her grandmother, Brenda Bibb.

Wallace has been on the run ever since.

After hundreds of hours investigating from New Jersey to North Carolina, police found the 25-year-old at an apartment in DC Tuesday morning. He was taken into custody with no issue.

“I’ll never be happy without my baby,” Shadon Bibb said.

Police say they’re now focused on putting together the timeline of Wallace’s last 38 days.

“Where he’s been, who helped him,” McGaw said.

With a message for those who helped the alleged killer.

“Anyone who’s helped this individual is going to get charged,” McGaw said.

“They need to be behind bars so they can suffer with their buddy since they want to be his friend and hide him,” Brenda Bibb said.

Police have been searching for Wallace since August 10. A $45,000 reward was offered for his capture.

Wallace faces murder charges and is awaiting extradition back to Maryland.

MORE NEWS: Maryland Weather: Muggy With A Chance For Showers & Storms

Other Local News:
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]

Rick Ritter