Update, April 16, 2015 3:08 p.m. : Charges were dropped against Rogers and Morton after surveillance footage corroborates Morton’s alibi.

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—Baltimore City Police arrest two men for the murder of two men shot and killed at a bus stop. Police say a dispute between two gangs led to the gunfire. One of the victims–a Shock Trauma employee–was reportedly an innocent bystander who was used as a human shield.

Rochelle Ritchie has more on the two gangs involved and reaction of a family member of one of the victims.

The two victims in this double shooting did not know each other. Baltimore City Police say the shooting involved a dispute between gang members. One of the murder victims was said to be member of the Bloods gang; the other victim was an innocent father coming home from work.

Twenty-eight-year-old Samuel Rogers and 25-year-old Antwon Morton are behind bars, charged in the murders of Christopher Camphor and Brandon Finney at a bus stop on Saratoga and Paca streets late Sunday night.

The two murder victims were waiting at the bus stop when police say, in a probable cause statement, Morton and Rogers opened fire on Camphor– the intended target.

Finney, an innocent bystander, was caught in the crossfire.

Both Baltimore men were taken to Shock Trauma, where they were pronounced dead a short time later.

“It’s unfortunate that he lost his life this way to people just being wicked,” said Tiara Finney, victim’s sister.

The double homicide, according to police, is the result of a gang dispute between members of the Black Guerilla Family and the Bloods.

According to police, 20-year-old Camphor was a member of the Bloods organization and was involved in an earlier dispute with members of BGF.

The probable cause statement says a witness told them that Rogers was upset about the earlier altercation and yelled he would “return to the area with a pump and kill anyone wearing red.” Blood gang members wear the color red.

Shortly after, police say the men returned to W. Saratoga Street, where they shot the victims.

“He wasn’t a thug. He wasn’t a hoodlum. He was a good guy,” Tiara Finney said.

Brandon Finney, a surgical technician at Shock Trauma, had just gotten off of work and was reportedly used as a human shield as the bullets went flying.

The hospital where he worked and later died released a statement, calling his death a “shocking and terrible loss and we extend our heartfelt thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and colleagues during this extremely difficult time. Our priority is to support Brandon’s home and work families as they come to grips with this immense loss.”

Brandon Finney’s family says he had just started working at the hospital and says his life was cut short over ignorance and carelessness.

“The violence definitely needs to stop because my brother had a 1-year old son, and it’s unfortunate he won’t be able to spend his life with his dad,” Tiara Finney said.

Shock Trauma released the following statement:

“We are heartbroken by the loss of a member of our Shock Trauma family, Brandon Finney. Our life’s work is to try to save the life of every patient who comes through our doors. It’s always very difficult for us when a life is lost. It is especially wrenching when we lose one of our own. As a surgical support technician, Brandon played an important role in helping many members of our community in their greatest time of need. We honor his memory by supporting each other and his family as we mourn this extraordinary loss. Brandon has been a member of the Shock Trauma family for several months, and he had earned a place in our hearts as a friend and colleague. We will miss him greatly and extend our deepest condolences to his family.

Rogers and Morton are also charged with witness intimidation and tampering after threatening a person if they cooperated with police.  Both suspects are being held at the Baltimore City Detention Center.

Other Local News:
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]

Comments (2)

Leave a Reply