BALTIMORE, Md. (WJZ)— January 24th is National Peanut Butter Day and to celebrate we’re sharing some interesting facts on one of America’s favorite snacks.
- It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
- There are enough peanuts in one acre to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.
- Delta Airlines purchased 69.6 million packs of peanuts for its passengers in 2013
- By law, any product labeled “peanut butter” in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts.
- The world’s largest peanut butter factory churns out 250,000 jars of the tasty treat every day.
- Four of the top 10 candy bars manufactured in the USA contain peanuts or peanut butter.
- Peanuts account for two-thirds of all snack nuts consumed in the USA.
- Peanuts contribute more than $4 billion to the USA economy each year.
- Americans spend almost $800 million a year on peanut butter.
- The average peanut farm is 100 acres..
- Peanuts are the #1 snack nut consumed in the U.S., accounting for two-thirds of the snack nut market.
The National Peanut Board represents all of America’s peanut farmers and their families.