MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (WJZ) — Drug overdoses on a college campus. Now four students at Wesleyan University in Connecticut are under arrest. Two are from Maryland.
Mary Bubala reports they were in court Wednesday to face charges after a dozen students are rushed to the hospital after taking the party drug known as “Molly.”
Police say 21-year-old Zachary Kramer of Bethesda and 20-year-old Rama Agha Al Nakib of Lutherville, Baltimore County are among the four students arrested and now suspended from Wesleyan University.
“It’s to be expected from a college environment, but it is disappointing to know that people are exposed to this kind of dangerous drug,” one student said.
Police say more than 11 students, some who attended a rave music show on Saturday night, overdosed after taking Molly–or MDMA.
Police don’t know who supplied the drug, but they are searching several locations in and around Wesleyan’s campus in Middletown, Connecticut.
“This particular batch may have had a mixture of several kinds of designer drug chemicals, making the health risks unpredictable and treatment to combat the effects complex and problematic,” said Chief William McKenna, Middletown Police.
Zachary Kramer is accused of possessing drug paraphernalia and a small amount of marijuana.
Rama Agha Al Nakib is accused of possessing a controlled substance with intent to sell it.
“I hope this serves as an example in a way for other students to be more cautious and careful. It can happen to anyone,” one student said.
Wesleyan president Michael Roth said the university takes drug distribution allegations seriously and is cooperating with authorities.
“We will do everything we can to make our community as safe as possible,” he said in a statement.
Roth had sent a letter to people on campus on Monday asking for help: “If you are aware of people distributing these substances, please let someone know before more people are hurt,” he said then.
Two students are still hospitalized after they were airlifted for treatment to Hartford, which is about 20 miles north of campus.
This isn’t the first time Wesleyan University has had an episode like this. Last September, several students were hospitalized after taking the drug Molly.