ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Fire officials in Annapolis say a 4-year-old boy was seriously burned when his 6-year-old brother played with a lighter at a shelter.

Firefighters called to the Light House Shelter on Sunday morning found the boy with serious burns. He was flown to the Johns Hopkins Pediatric Intensive Care unit in Baltimore.

READ MORE: One Dead, Multiple Injured In South Baltimore Crash Involving 5 Vehicles

Annapolis Fire Department spokesman Janet Wiseman says the children were unattended and the older boy was playing with a lighter. That’s when she says the younger boy’s shirt caught fire, burning his torso, chest and shoulders.

READ MORE: Juvenile, 4 Adults Hospitalized After Dundalk House Fire

Wiseman says the incident highlights the importance of keeping matches and lighters out of reach of children. She says city firefighters will teach the 6-year-old about the dangers of fire.

MORE NEWS: Family Members, Annapolis Residents Mark Fourth Anniversary Of Capital Gazette Shooting

(Copyright 2015 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)