BALTIMORE (WJZ)–A bizarre incident near the University of Maryland Baltimore leads gridlock on city streets after police shoot a man in the leg.

Derek Valcourt has details on the shooting the problems it caused.

READ MORE: Security Camera Video Shows Chaotic Scene, Quick Police Response After West Baltimore Mass Shooting

Downtown rush hours can be mess, but Friday night a police investigation shut down several streets near the UMB and brought traffic throughout downtown to a crawl.

It all began shortly after 1:00 p.m. when UMB police got the call of man armed with knife near the hospital. They found him in the 500 block of Russell Street still holding the knife.

“The officers then made contact with him at which point he then reach into his waistband to withdraw what they thought was a handgun,” said Sgt. Jarron Jackson, Baltimore Police.

The suspect was shot once in the leg, he’s expected to survive.

The shooting happened right in the middle of the sidewalk right just off of busy Russell St., only feet away from Camden Yards, and just steps away from the normally quiet little neighborhood off of South Paca Street.

READ MORE: Leaders Call Fells Point Violence 'Tragic & Unacceptable,' Police Urging People To Speak Up

The shooting unnerving to the people who live nearby.

“I’m concerned about was it random I’m concerned about was it targeted I’m concerned about my neighbors because it’s a very quaint little neighborhood because we know each other for the most part,” said Nikia Williams.

Though it was a UMB officer who pulled the trigger city police detectives are investigating.

Their several hour long investigation at the scene left many frustrated and inconvenienced.

“We usually have a shuttle bus but its blocked off so we have to walk to our car by ourselves,” said Nicole Hurt.

The investigation continues. Police still have not said if they found a gun on the suspect

MORE NEWS: Maryland Offices, Schools Announce Closures Friday In Observance Of Juneteenth

Because of the time of day and location police believe many people saw what happened.  Those who did are asked to call Baltimore Police.