BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Lottery officials say the $700 million Powerball jackpot is the largest in U.S. history.
Here are some other facts to know about this jackpot:
- It’s a world-record jackpot. Other large jackpots are as follows:
- $656 million in March 2012 (Mega Millions)
- $648 million in Dec.2013 (Mega Millions)
- $590.5 million in May 2013 (Powerball)
- $587.5 million in Nov. 2012 (Powerball)
- $564.1 million in Feb. 2015 (Powerball)
- $500 million in Jan. 2016 (Powerball)
- If someone wins Saturday and chooses the $428.4 million cash option, they would get $283.8 million after taxes.
- There have been two Powerball jackpot wins in Maryland since the game came to the state in Jan. 2010.
- There were eight second-tier, $1 million Powerball wins in Maryland in 2015.
- Nationally, Powerball has produced 316 second-tier winners of $1 million or $2 million in the past year.
- Powerball is sold in 47 states/jurisdictions, including D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands.
- 75% of tickets are purchased using the “Quick Pick” option.
**information provided by Maryland Lottery.