BALTIMORE (WJZ)—Prince George’s County emergency personnel were on their way home from funeral services for slain firefighter/medic Lieutenant John “Skillet” Ulmschneider when they saved a woman from a burning car.

Assistant Fire Chief Darren Ware, who was assigned to coordinate mutual aid while the funeral was in progress, was on his way home when he noticed a vehicle on fire in the area of northbound Crain highway (Route 301) near Brandywine Road.

READ MORE: Baltimore's Mark Andrews Among The NFL's Elite Tight Ends

Retired PGFD Deputy Fire Chief Tyrone Wells, who was also traveling home jumped right into action with Chief Ware and another bystander as they ran toward the burning car.

“I immediately ran to the vehicle and attempted to open the door and remove her from the driver door,” said Ware. “The door was locked.  The occupant looked up at me but was not responsive to my instructions to unlock the door.”

Mark Brady, a spokesperson for the Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department says that the female driver appeared to be suffering from a medical incident and was not cohesive enough to follow instructions from rescuers.

READ MORE: Fourth Stimulus Check: Will You See Another Relief Payment?

During the rescue attempt, Brady says the driver pushed the accelerator which caused the burning car to go down an embankment and prevent extradition from the driver’s side of the vehicle.

“Because of the new angle of the vehicle access was attempted through the passenger side front door,,” said Ware. “I was able to gain access to the patient and pull her through the passenger side window.  We were able to get her up the embankment and away from the burning vehicle.”

Other department members returning from the funeral services also stopped to help, Brady said.

The woman was not injured in the incident, but appeared to have suffered from an unknown medical incident.

MORE NEWS: Baltimore County Eagle Scout Makes A Difference One Step At A Time

“Had it not been for the quick actions of Assistant Fire Chief Ware, Tyrone Wells and a yet to be identified Good Samaritan citizen the outcome would have had a tragic ending,” Brady said.