BALTIMORE (WJZ) —  Baltimore Police have released new information regarding the police-involved shooting in Waverly Friday, involving a man who was wielding knives. Police have now identified the two officers involved in the shooting. On Saturday, about 30 people came to protest the shooting.

Police have now identified the two officers involved in the shooting on at the 3300 Block of Greenmount Avenue as Officer Gary Brown, and Officer Supreme Jones. Officer Gary Brown is assigned to the Northern District and is a 16-year veteran of the BPD. Officer Supreme Jones  is also assigned to the Northern District, and has been a member of the BPD for 2 years.

Police say neither officer has been involved in a police-involved shooting before.

Officers Brown and Jones shot a man on Friday, November 25, who was armed with two knives, flailing them around and refusing police orders.

RELATED: Knife Wielding Man in Critical Condition After Being Shot By Cop

Police tased the man to bring him under control, but officers were not successful, and when the man continued to behave erratically, Officers Brown and Jones shot the man multiple times. The man, who has not yet been identified, is now in the hospital in critical condition.

In reaction to the police-involved shooting, a group of about 30 protesters assembled near where the incident occurred on Greenmount Avenue, on Saturday afternoon around 3 p.m.

During the protest, a young child of one of the protesters stopped breathing. Officers on scene attempted to revive the baby, but she later died.

Baltimore Police say during the protest on Saturday afternoon, Major Richard Gibson was on patrol in the area. He was approached by a group of citizens who informed him that a baby was not breathing inside a restaurant on Greenmount Avenue.

Police say that according to witnesses, the infant’s mother was one of the protestors and went into the restaurant to feed the infant. However, once inside the restaurant, Police say the infant stopped breathing.

Police say Major Gibson rushed into the restaurant, where he found an infant girl who wasn’t breathing. Officers say Gibson performed CPR until paramedics arrived on the scene.

Police say that the baby, who was approximately one month old, was transported to an area hospital where she later died. Authorities say they don’t know if the baby had an existing medical condition that might have contributed to her death. An exact cause and manner of the baby’s death have not been determined.

Police have yet to release footage of the initial shooting from Friday. Police say at least one officer was wearing a body camera. The commissioner says if there is video, it will be shared with the public if it’s of value.

A worker in a nearby building to where the shooting happened on Greenmount Avenue tells WJZ police visited the building to review their security footage, but the camera that was pointed directly at the scene wasn’t working at the time.

Police say the suspect was taken to the hospital and is still in critical condition. He has not been identified.

Follow @CBSBaltimore on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook

Comments (2)

Leave a Reply